Chapter Nine

Frustration rolls through me very suddenly as I wake up. I'm no longer speaking with Gavroche, Eponine or Enjolras, even though at that moment I felt like doing so. I am jolted awake so quickly, out of the blue, and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I am in Vi's room, her television is still blaring with life, I assumed we had forgotten to turn it off. The ringing of the infomercial sets my nerves on end as I kick my sheets away and leap to my feet. I feel like I had just woken up a few hours ago, sort of because I had. I go into Vi's closet and sort through her clothes until I find a baggy tee shirt with the Les Miz logo and a pair of jeans. I put them on and then halfheartedly brush through my hair, in that moment I wished that I had the rosette Gavroche had gave me. Whenever I wore it for some reason I felt empowered, I was filled with a new sudden burst of strength. I sat on my bed, waiting for Violetta or Pearl to wake up. I took out my copy of Les Miz and began to read sections of it, when Valjean meets Fantine or when Eponine is first shown as a teenager. Though the story is so poignant and dark it almost feels comforting. Within about twenty minutes of reading however my phone starts going off like crazy, furrowing my eyebrows I grumble and then grab it, text messages flashing across the screen. Derrick, Sierra, and Orion are talking on a group chat.

Sierra: Let's all meet up there!

Orion: Kay!

I scroll through the texts to find that they plan on all meeting up at the local bookstore, which is something I'm always pleased about. I smile and place my phone down, looking to my friends sleeping.

Me: This sounds fun! What time?

Sierra: We'll meet up in an hour!

Me: Sounds good.

I put my phone away and shake Vi awake. I know that she would hate it if I didn't give her at least an hour to get ready. She scrambles out from under the covers, her straight black hair is a mess and she glares at me.

"We're going to B&N to meet up with people in an hour." I say, her eyes widen and she leaps to her feet, practically dashing towards the closet and the bathroom. I smile and turn to Pearl, who is arousing. I tell her to get ready and she does, the two of them running around the house like mad people.

Orion: I think most of the cast is coming.

I sort of hope most people aren't. I wasn't exactly planning on spending my time around Romilda but I didn't exactly have a choice. I flick through Les Miz again, Hugo's-, I mean Combeferre's writing is incredible. Somehow it seems even more amazing after I realize that one of the character's themselves wrote it. I was left to wonder how he lived to copy it down, when he describes Valjean in the sewers, or Grantaire going to die with Enjolras. I reread those scenes, there is no change in writing style, hardly any change at all. My heart thrums, maybe he lived.

Violetta comes in the room a few minutes later, she's dressed in a long purple sweater with black pants. Her hair is messily braided down one side. I open my phone case to find that I have just enough money for a single book stored in there. Pearl should have enough as well. I watch as my little sister comes into the room, her hair is loose at her soldiers and she wears a long blue dress. Sunlight streams into the room and we head downstairs. I slip on some red converse at the door.

"Mom!" Vi calls, "Can you drop us off at Barnes and Nobles?" Her mom rushes into the room, she's usually one to be fine with anything,

"Sure." We all head outside towards the car and climb into the back. Vi unsurprisingly is already on her phone.

"Bella's coming too." She says and I nod. The drive is quick, Vi's mom pulls into the parking lot and we all climb out of the car.

"Thanks!" I say casually leaping onto the asphalt as she drives away. I feel the warm sun on my skin and smile. '

"Just another month until it's winter." Pearl grumbles as we all head inside and draw open the door. We find our friends all gathered at the cafe, a few tables are pushed together and I find that a lot of people have arrived. Pearl, Vi, and I find a spare seat next to Derrick and Bella so we sit there. Orion, Sierra, and regrettably Romilda sits across from me. She glares at me, it's obvious she was the only one to take the time to apply makeup. Pearl grins when she realizes her friend Daniel is here and she rushes over to go sit next to him.

"Two weeks." Sierra says, it seems as if she's the only one who doesn't seem worried in the slightest. Her eyes are wide and she wears a huge grin.

"But the dreaded tech week is coming." Derrick says, his eyes are wide at the thought and Sierra nods.

"Who doesn't love staying at the school for an extra million hours!" Orion smiles.

We all sit at the table and talk about the production, and whatever other things we feel like talking about. Vi, Pearl and I all grab hot chocolates and cookies after a few minutes as we speak. Everything feels relaxed. I know that this table is getting many odd glances for unsurprisingly we are the loudest people here. Pearl and Daniel go to look for books after a few minutes as we all get up from the table. I am amused to find that some of the people sitting at the other cafe table almost look relieved.

"We're always the loudest no matter where we go. Even last year." Orion smiles at the thought as we walk.

"I don't find that surprising at all." Bella and Derrick are already ahead of us, looking through books. Vi, Orion, Sierra, Romilda and I travel together through the store, though Romilda is pretty much tagging behind looking for ways into conversation. I find that Sierra is the only one being nice to her in the slightest, though she seems evidently irritated. After a few minutes we find books and all sit down on the floor, facing eachother. I flip through a book that received high praise but am let down for the writing seems so unrich. After reading Les Miz nothing seems as good anymore. The book however is very good for it's age and it's interesting so I continue reading it.

"What about your children, where have they gone?" I hear a voice and then I hear a sickeningly familiar one, my insides start to crawl and I stiffen, glancing to the side as I see the figure of my mother, her thin frame is held high and I can see in her face that she has gotten more plastic surgery, not that it surprises me. She is walking with another woman, who I remember seeing around the house sometimes.

"The girl? Who cares for them. Don't know where they are and I don't care enough to find out, I was always hoping they would just wander away and never turn up." I stiffen and feel a burst of rage pouring over me, all of my friends seem to be engaged in books except Orion, who is too gazing up in rage. I hear the other lady let out a snort of laughter and I glare up at the woman who was never truly my mother. She looks right down at me, recognition flashing in her eyes as her eyebrows furrow and she turns away. She keeps walking with the woman. After she's gone I feel a burst of sadness wash over me and I try to hide it. I cover my face with the book, thoughts of rage flying through my head. I don't want to be here anymore, I need to go right now.

"Vi?" My voice sounds weak. "Can we leave?" She looks at me in surprise as we all get to our feet. As soon as I am on my feet however Orion steps forward and hugs me. I don't stiffen instead I hug him back, knowing that he was the only one who witnessed anything that just happened. I had always known my mother never cared, but hearing that, just killed me on the inside. My breathing comes out ragged as we draw away. I feel Vi's eyes on me, but they are not eyes that mock me, instead eyes of concern. I also feel Romilda's glare on me, but I couldn't care less.

"I know how it feels." He whispers in my ear and I nod.

Vi texts her mom to pick us up and I get Pearl as we head to the door. Anger rushes through me. This is my life. I swallow hard, Eponine had one almost like this and so do I, in two worlds.

A/N: Hi! Idk what to write in this author's note so thanks for reading! XD