Chapter Eighteen

Seven days had passed since my dreams ceased and it seemed as if I had finally adjusted. The blank darkness that enveloped my rest was horrifically depressing but I kept going, trying to brush the sadness from my head while keeping the memories. For even though the memories currently caused sadness, they were ones I didn't want to forget. Maybe in the future I would look back upon them in a whole new light. Vi, Bella, Derrick and I walked to the front of our first period class feeling many sets of eyes upon us. As Bella spoke I noticed she couldn't keep the obvious tone of excitement from her voice,

"Excuse me but we will not be able to attend this class or the rest of the school day for we have a meeting with a Broadway auditioner." She took deep breaths as she said the words, as if she couldn't believe what she was saying out loud. Our teacher smiled, as she took the pass,

"Have fun and pay attention! I would love to attend another show." I smiled at her and we all stepped from the room, the looks of jealousy and support varied from the people we passed by. Since the production had ended and news of the auditions had gotten out we had been getting loads of attention. The four of us moved through the halls, passing posters declaring the date of auditions for the upcoming show which was RENT. We wouldn't be able to audition for it but I still planned on attending the show nights. We headed towards the theater, where the meeting was held. I knew that the nine of us who had gotten auditions, the auditioner, Hazel and Miles would be at the meeting. We stepped through the double doors and I breathed in the familiar lumber and papyrus smell of the theater. Where we had rehearsed together numerous times, preparing for the show that opened doors in our future. Miles, Hazel and the auditioner sat upon the stage, they all talked while we filed in. I saw that Sierra and Orion were already seated and I rushed down and sat next to Orion. I missed not being able to see them as much even though we texted nearly every day.

"I'm so excited!" Sierra grinned widely, her dark eyes ablaze with excitement. I couldn't help but grin at Sierra, she always seemed to be so happy and cheerful. Vi sat next to me, clutching the edges of her seat as if she was witnessing some horror film and she was anxiously awaiting a jump scare. Sarah came in next and took a seat next to Bella. She looked anxious but excited at the same time. Pearl and Daniel came in a few minutes later, practically skipping down the aisle until they reached the seats.

The auditioner smiled when he saw that all of us were gathered as he climbed to his feet. He wore a kind smile, his skin wrinkled at the edges. Round dark glasses framed his old blue eyes. He had a pale white beard and he wore a white jacket with black pants. Looking rather professional. I had expected to meet a stern man with furrowed eyebrows and a scowl, this man seemed quite the opposite. He immediately started pacing upon the stage as he began talking, the way Miles often did.

"Hello everyone my name is Walter Griffin but you may call me whatever you would like. I was blown away by your performance and I truly think you all have places in the theater world. Which is why I have given you these auditions." He smiled at us, his eyes moving across the theater as he paced, drumming his pen against the palm of his hand. I could feel my stomach churning in excitement. "In your letter I know that you can find all the enclosed information about your audition such as the date and location. But the process may not be something you are familiar with so I would like to go over it with you." Mr. Griffin spoke simply, in a light tone as if to ease us and make us less worried. He also seemed like a rather joyful man. "The auditions are all in about four months time so you have a while to prepare. I would suggest finding a vocal instructor and an acting coach to help you prepare. I would also suggest putting together exactly what you would like to audition with. As you know it is common sense not to audition with a song from the show." Mr. Griffin swallowed, "In the envelope I enclosed a slip of paper with my signature and audition slip. You will have to bring that to the audition to prove you have a place there and to show which role they should consider you for." I smile, picturing the thick cardstock with my name, role and Mr. Griffin's signature upon it. The nine of us all listened intently, hanging onto his every word.