Dream Eighteen

Dear Athena:

We knew you for such a short time and within that time we have found ourselves forever in debt to you. You were strong in the face of all things horrid and awful and you have armed us, you have saved each and every one of our lives already, by just speaking. You saved us by agreeing to gather at that small wooden table and scribbling notes upon that frail piece of paper. You saved us when you talked of cannons and strength and foreign concepts we had never imagined. You saved us by being strong and honest. You saved us by standing taller in the face of danger and succumbing to nothing. You saved us with your preparation and wisdom. If Ep hadn't seen you on the street. If she hadn't recognized the cold, dark courageous fury burning in your wide gray eyes, we would all be dead. You were a strong soul, who held yourself confidently and put so much weight on your small back. You bored our futures upon the pen, without your strategic plans written upon the paper, we would have no future to return to. If you hadn't been so selfless and strong Ep would be gone, so we would be gone too. We will never forget that moment, when we gripped your small hands and watched the light go from your eyes. We will never forget you, we will always consider you our sister, still always with us in spirit, even when all the chairs and tables are empty.Gavroche will never forget you either, none of us will. When you closed your eyes your hand moved from ours to the rosette pinned at your chest. You are strong Athena, you are brave and wise and fierce and confident. You are admirable and you are a hero to us all. We just wished you had been with us longer, we will never forgive ourselves for turning away, we will never forgive ourselves for your death. Because you saved all of us. Because you didn't have to, but you did. Because of your strategies and your rallying and speaking the people came. We can fight, we actually stand a chance for the people of Paris don't merely sleep in their beds. Combeferre has written of you, of you and Eponine together. Because you both have changed the course of our lives forever. The people came, because of you, we live because of you. I am writing this letter because of you. And we feel immensely honored to do so. We will miss you forever Athena. The cafe will never be complete again. We're sorry.

~Enjolras, Eponine and Gavroche

It had been four months since the meeting in school. And it seemed as if the dreams started the day the amazing news came in the mail. The results from my callback. But it seemed as if my ticket to Broadway also brought me another ticket. I had returned.

The paper is frail in my fingers, I feel my heartbeat speed up as I look around. I had appeared, collapsed upon the stone ground, my fingers resting on my chest, where the letter was tucked, in between my small pale fingers. I took a deep breath, rereading the words over and over again in the sun's waning light.

I missed them. I missed sitting with them and talking. I missed talking to Eponine, who was strong and tough. I missed Enjolras' confident and excited smile. I missed the hope in Gavroche's eyes and I missed Grantaire's glassy eyed stare. I would do anything to return to those dreams, and it appeared I had.

I was dressed in the same outfit Eponine and I had set out in, except it was no longer bloodstained. It was as fresh and new as when I got it. The rosette that Gavroche had given me was pinned to my shirt. I reached up to feel for it, and I smiled at it's touch. I was in an alleyway, and I was very much alive. It was a miracle, it was absurd, but it was amazing. I smiled and closed my eyes, unbelieving of what was happening. Selflessness and sacrifice led to this. I stood in the alleyway for a long while until suddenly I heard Enjolras' voice. He sounded strong but saddened, I listened closely though I could not distinguish what he was saying. I swallowed hard and stepped from the alleyway, out into the light of the just rising sun. Enjolras stood on top of the barricade, the sunlight hitting his tanned skin as he gripped onto the French flag. It seemed as if mostly everyone was asleep, and I was shocked by the amount of people, and resources here at a bounty to us. Armed soldiers were situated everywhere and cannons were positioned strategically. I could see Gavroche's perched slender figure, sitting on top of the barricade next to Enjolras. I could also make out Eponine's outline, standing next to Enjolras. It seemed as if it was the morning after I had died, it was as if no time had passed.

"She's in the alleyway, her body." I could hear Enjolras say, he spoke, his voice trembling slightly, "She was strong, and I left the letter we wrote together with her, we are forever in her debt. Without her, we would probably be the only barricade left standing whilst all of them are still standing right now." I smiled up at the three of them and a surge of excitement and happiness swirled through me.

"Enjolras, Eponine, Gavroche?" They spun around and when their gaze came upon mine expressions of disbelief and happiness appeared upon their faces. I couldn't keep the smile from creeping onto mine that very second. I stared up at the three people who I had missed more than anyone else for four long agonizing months. They were people I never thought I would see again. But now I do see them, and a burst of thankfulness and happiness rushes through me. I changed this, I altered history, I saved them.