Dream Eleven

I step from the room as Enjolras talks to Eponine, my stomach churning, from outside the door I can hear his caring voice. One that only tremored for her, I felt a chill run through me, they loved each other so much, I needed to keep both of them alive.

"If the people come they will bring cannons!" I can hear Grantaire's voice from downstairs, it bounces off the walls and he sounds excited,

"The people will come!" Joly responds, his voice filled with just as much excitement. I wrap my arms around me, I feel numb and cold. I had managed to stay calm for a long time but now I felt as if everything around me was crumbling. I reached for the rosette at my chest and felt for it, I found that in both worlds, the symbol filled me with a sense of pride and security. It also was an emblem to me that no one is alone, truly. I couldn't keep the Into The Woods reference from coming to my head, even in such a difficult time as this one.

I know that in the room behind me Eponine has clothes stashed in a drawer, ones that we both plan to dress in once the boys leave. We then both plan on sneaking out to join them, to fight alongside them. Whether we die or not. Eponine and Enjolras come out a few moments later, their hands intertwined. Enjolras' face is as hard as marble and Eponine's face is as blank as stone. Yet the way their hands are together does not convey placidness to me, it conveys a longing and a desperation, emotions that must be churning inside of them. Eponine flashes me a look, as if to say she was prepared. I knew she despised the fact that she had to lie to Enjolras, but there was no way we were letting the people we cared for fight without us. Without them, in this world, we are nothing. I brush my brunette curls out of my face and follow the pair downstairs. The boys look oddly calm now. Expressions of fear and excitement are mingled upon their young pure faces. Expressions that will not be blemished or put out by anything. I don't want to see any of these men die, but there is no avoiding it, and as much as I want to deny it, I know that I cannot save every life. I will have to fight to save a single one. Gavroche's eyes linger to Eponine's face, then to mine, then to Enjolras' then to every person's. I can see a culmination of excitement and sadness on his face. Gavroche was wise beyond his years, there was a type of knowing glint in his eyes, one that some people will never possess.

"The funeral is in a few hours." I start, feeling everyone's eyes on me, "You will have to station yourself like how we exemplified on the diagram yesterday and you have to follow Enjolras' lead. It will not be difficult to miss him for knowing him he will definitely catch a lot of attention. The people are marching in a giant coffin-line structure in which you can surround or climb on top of." I suck in a deep breath and my voice comes out small, "Throwing together a barricade will not take much time, I know that this group will all be gathered at one barricade while other groups will be gathered at others. You should begin building the barricade after the protesting at the funeral." I suck in a breath, I know that we have already reviewed all of what I was saying many times. But this was what we needed to do and any small mess up could change what could happen later. "Once the battle starts, fight with all the fire inside of you, for it never burns out, and never will." I feel a lump rise in my throat but I swallow it, be strong, I urge myself. These people may still live. "Protect each other too." I say, they all nod in agreement. Everyone here is close knit, like a family. To some of them, I bet the students are the only family they have, For me, in this world it is true. Silence filled the room as everyone exchanged knowing glances. They weren't plotting any longer, everything was going into effect. They looked at each other sadly, probably wondering who would return and who wouldn't. Marius' gaze was sad, I could see him scribbling something into his notebook, and then tucking it into the front pocket of his jacket. I knew exactly what it was too. Inside of the notebook he had scrawled a final message to his dear Cosette, just in case he didn't make it our of this battle alive. I realized for a moment that I didn't even know for sure if Marius died. I swallowed hard and pictured Cosette's beautiful face swollen by tears as she looms over a coffin, where Marius lies inside. I brush the thought away, this was not the time for that.