Chapter Fifteen

"Thena, Are you okay?" Orion gripped my hands and I nodded, even though I wasn't. "You sure?" His eyes were full of concern and I nodded again as he hugged me, "You'll do great."

"You will too." I smiled at him weakly and waited backstage. It was 6:30 and I had half an hour until the show was set to open. Violetta, Sierra, Bella, Derrick, Orion and I sat backstage, waiting anxiously for the show to start. Sarah paced across the backstage area, smoothing out her navy costume, her eyebrows furrowed. Pearl and Daniel even seemed anxious, and it always seemed as if Pearl was never anxious.

I had our playbill gripped in my fingers. It was printed on fine high quality paper and it looked like a broadway playbill. I had read over the small booklet multiple times, as if it would calm me down. But I wasn't completely panicked about the show, I was panicked about my dreams. I had awoken to find that the pain was gone, but I knew it would be there again when I drifted into sleep. I remembered the tears splattered across my skin as I woke up and I remembered the blinding pain that had instantly receded. I had remembered the wave of panic that washed over me and I dreaded falling asleep once more, fearful of what it would bring. But still, I saved them.

I examined my reflection in the mirror. The soft layer of makeup applied to my face made it shine and it made my eyes stand out, even though I looked unnaturally pale. The dress I wore made me look more slender and beaten. My curly hair was loose down the front of my dress. I took deep breaths, trying not to think about my dreams, instead focusing on the task ahead.

"Miles told me that after the performance the auditioner will hand him notes on who he has some news for, he also told me that he had been instructed to give them to us at the celebration after closing night." Sierra said, she was the only one who didn't look worried, in fact she seemed exuberant and full of energy, her face glowing. I had to smile at her because of that, it was as if she was the glue, holding us all together to keep us from falling apart. We waited backstage, our breathing heavy as we spoke in mere whispers. I didn't speak however, I stared at the ground, and tried not to dwell on my dreams.

"Orion, you got this I promise." I say after a little while and he smiles at me. I know that Orion has more resting on his shoulders than any of us. While we want to make it to Broadway as an amazing accomplishment to fullfill a dream, he wants to escape from harshness and neglection, something only Pearl and I would be able to fully understand.

"Five minutes to opening, take your places!" A tech crew member comes bounding up the doors to the backstage area as Vi, Sarah and a load of extras move like a wave towards the stage area. My stomach churns and I focus on the ground, letting the time tick away in my head. I can picture the darkness on stage and the faint murmuring. I can picture the curtain, shrouded in shadows and I can picture Lucas, sitting at his perch ready to operate the spotlight. Bella is taking deep breaths and I look to her. She looks especially pretty. She curled her usual pin straight hair and she applied a soft amount of makeup to her pale skin. I can't help but be amazed by her talent at applying her makeup. Her dress is smoothed out at her sides and it looks as beautiful as ever. Derrick's blond hair is gelled and he keeps fidgeting with the collar to his costume. In a few moments the opening strikes the air and a burst of shock and excitement rolls through me. We all exchange glances and then face forward, as if we're watching the number. I look to Sierra, who is grinning ecstatically. I hear the richness of the number, it sounds better than ever and is greeted by tumultous applause. Sarah's singing sounded fantastic as did Vi's. They nailed every note.

The scenes switch and within a few minutes I can hear the Bishop begin singing, there isn't a tremor in his voice. Vi also sings confidently, her voice sounding rich and powerful, yet defeated, in an act to try to match the character. I hear the scuffling of people moving on and off stage as Sierra leaps to her feet and moves towards the side. If this is "Valjean's Soliloquy," she is in the next scene. I watch as all the extras dressed as factory workers rush to the side of the stage.