Dream Fourteen

The gun shuddered in my grip, I glance over to Eponine, her stance is hard and her eyes are cold. As the time passes I'm scared to look behind me, to see the fallen figures. I do not know who has gone, and I do not know how many. I hear the cries rise up into the air like smoke, tainting the lands with dysphoria and forlorness. But I have confidence every death means something,

"If we can just get them to retreat, for a little bit." I mumbled, my hands hovered over the rosette, trying to seep all the little bits of hope needed from it. "Please." I let out a dry cough, I was speaking to myself "We need the people." As I shoot I feel empty, like I am blasting away my soul, piece by piece. It couldn't have been more than a few minutes since the battle started, and yet I already felt as if we were faltering, crumbling away piece by piece.

"I'm going to keep near Enj." Eponine whispered into my ear as she skirted around me and up towards the top of the barricades, where Enjolras stood. He wore a grimace upon his face yet he looked unscathed. I heard shouts ring up into the air as we shot down, I didn't follow the path of my bullet, I swallowed hard and kept firing. The cold metal ringing in my hands. Marius stood next to Enjolras, at the top of the barricades. He looked pretty much unhurt, other than a few small gashes, he fired down, his forehead creased in concentration.

"We need to get them to retreat." I could hear Enjolras whisper faintly, "We need to wait for the people, make sure they arrive." I watched him as Marius nodded, glancing around,

"Gunpowder." He spoke softly, "Gunpowder at the barricade." I watched as Marius spun around skirting down the masses of chairs and furniture as he approached the bottom. I breathed deeply and turned to Enjolras,

"Marius what are you doing?" The next words sent a shock across my skin as I processed everything in slow motion. Upon Enjolras' face was a look of confusion, as he twisted away, his gaze lingering from the barricade for a second.

The soldiers down below us, were now at a low number, and it was evident they were going to go back soon.They must have underestimated us, we were strong fighters. The people before us fought viciously, but they did it as though they hadn't expected they would need too. And they lacked resources. There wasn't a doubt in my mind they were to head back to find more soldiers, which were obviously at a bounty to them.

But however, even in the weak position they were in, they still had guns, and they could still fight. I watched as a soldier down below us wore a triumphant grin, his cool metal gun was pointed in Enjolras' direction. It was a clear shot, I could see his finger hovering over the trigger and my breath hitched. A sudden insane shock of adrenaline pounded through me and I felt a surge of energy rush through me. Eponine's eyes were fixed on Enjolras and panic was evident in her expression, for she too had spotted the gun. It was merely a few feet away from us, I stumbled towards the top, so we were next to Enjolras.

The whole ordeal seemed to take years, yet in reality it was only a few seconds. The hesitation of the young soldier saved Enjolras' life. Yet, with a price. Eponine dove in front of Enjolras. I can't let this happen, I can't let this happen, I promised to save them. Tears, hot wet salty ones stung at my eyes and rolled down my pale dirtied cheek as I dropped my gun, watching it fall from the barricades and followed through with one action. Blood pulsed through me as I grabbed the enemy's gun, the cool metal sliding over my fingers as I wrenched it towards me. Sweat poured down my skin, and I took heavy breaths, wondering how many I had left.

The soldier's finger made contact with the trigger. A mighty crashlike noise struck the air as a pain shot through my body, crippling my form. I felt the bullet pierce my light clothing, ripping it and tearing it as it went through. I then felt the immense, blunt pain upon my skin as blood gushed from the wound. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I felt the pain sink deeper. Overcoming me, taking over my entire body. It burned, it felt as if I was being punctured by a thousand needles. I felt the overwhelming pain and it caused me to twist myself. The smoke from the gun clouded me, flowing over my figure. As the bullet jolted through the other side. I fell. My body struck the wooden furniture underneath me as my crippled figure landed upon the ground. Twisted at an unnatural angle as blood gushed onto the cobblestone underneath me.

"ATHENA!" I could hear Eponine's panicked shouts as I felt cool droplets fall onto my face. Culminating with the warm, moist sweat that felt like my own blood. It was raining, if I had any strength in me I would reach up towards the sky, to grasp the cool droplets of freedom, to allow them to drip down my warm skin. But all I could do was stare at my torso, breathing heavily, watching the blood spurt from my wound, all over my coat with the words, I saved them... I saved them... playing through my head.

A/N: *shocked horrified emoji* This chapter is dedicated to @StarlessLupin, I'll have another update soon!