Chapter 5

It was a fact that I learned secretly about it even while chasing after Valdwin, but drawing a magic circle wasn’t that different from creating chemical formulas. Will you be able to draw a magic circle if you create a magic formula through a proper combination of elements? That is why, it was no different than the process of designing a process based on chemical formulas.

Ugh, this is what a major disease is.

(T/N: ‘Major’ here refers to the course she had when she was in college. She studied about chemical engineering in her past life. )

I fell asleep while rummaging through the fairytale books beside Valdwin, who was reading a book again after eating snack. There was one more thing inconvenient about being young – not being able to read romance novels, my only hobby! At my mental age, Toto went on an adventure with his acorn! Should I be reading the same thing…?

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

The place he used as his reserved seat at the study was by the sunny window. Laila approaches him when he sits down to a place where forsythia-colored sunlight poured down.

(T/N: Forsythia flowers are non-native shrubs grown for their yellow flowers that bloom in early spring. They mean ‘a deeper love’ in Korea.)

Valdwin turned around and looked at Laila, who was snoring at his knees. A smile spread across his face as he raised his book and blocked the sunlight for her.

“Who looks like a cat?”

In fact, it was Laila who fell asleep like a full-fledged cat in the warm sunlight.

Valdwin’s red eyes darkened.

The cute, ignorant, and foolish Laila. She was lying peacefully asleep not knowing what door she opened and what was inside it. Valdwin chuckled.

There was a reason why a Winchester’s head was able to awaken as a sword master from generation to generation and rise to fame. That is because Winchester’s direct heirs inherit their abilities and knowledge upon the death of their predecessors. They inherit the memory of the sword to be precise.

People say that Winchesters were born with good physical condition to train with sword, it wasn’t for any other reason. Winchester’s heads were called ‘Sword Demons’. They became an existence no less than the sword’s spirit after they inherit the sword. They live with a huge magical sword inside their body, and its name is ‘Calliburn’.

There were five knights who supported Rahaphilt Bendlrohaim when founded the Empire. Those five knights received swords from Rahaphilt, two which were broken and three remained. Those were Calliburn, Thirvyng, and Kalladvolg.

Among them was the great sword Calliburn that was inherited by the Winchesters, and was said to have killed dozens of knights in one single swing. Since Valdwin’s died shortly after he was born, he already inherited Calliburn’s knowledge and abilities. He could summon the sword whenever he wanted.

The reason he lived with books was so he would be able to organize his messy knowledge. He became a monster once he was born, but the innocent Laila didn’t know that. A bright, blackish-red color appeared on his fingertips when he was careless.

Valdwin clenched his fist and opened it. The red energy lingering on his hand disappeared. He gently stroked Laila’s silver hair scattered on her cheek. He felt her soft flesh on his fingertips when he brushed off her smooth hair.

‘Believe in me. I will protect you.’

Tiny, cute and insignificant. He had no idea what was this feeling right now, but he was certain with only one thing, and that is his determination not to let go of the warmth that touched his fingertips.