Chapter 12

Thud!

“Wh, what does this mean!”

“I don’t know…. It didn’t fall down from somewhere, right?”

The maids sleeping on the first floor were startled and woke up. They lit the lamp with sleepy eyes. It was just the dawn of the day.

“We should check it out.”

“What should we do? I’m scared!”

“Well, we will ask the knights to take a look.”

“Indeed… there will be people standing on duty now.”

The maids mustered up their courage and came out with their shawls. They cautiously moved and anxiously swallowed their saliva. The knights were fortunately on patrol and were also on their way here after hearing the sound. In order to find the culprit that shook the dawn, a four-man expedition team was dispatched. And what they found was…. 

“Wh, wh, what is this!”

“Isn’t that a wild boar?”

“A wild boar? Someone must have haunted this. It has a stab on its neck.”

“Sir, this size would be enough for dinner….”

“What on earth is this!”

“My goodness. We’ll have to tell this to His Excellency first and foremost.”

The culprit was none other than the tiger that was bitten by the boar to repay a favor. Of course, the Duke’s people couldn’t have guessed that. Only Valdwin….

‘Hmm.’

He just let out a light sigh.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Since the novel didn’t go in depth about what happened in the past, I couldn’t figure it out at first. Once a day – the unidentified Hong Gil-Dong brought strange things to the Duke’s garden. The items were different each time: sometimes flour, sometimes wild boar. There were also times when it was silk, or leather.

Upon hearing the news, Mom and Dad kept the servants from going out and talking about it. It was fortunate that Mom and Dad had chosen tight-lipped servants and were loyal to us. Reminds me, the nanny who took care of us died of chronic disease a year ago. She was a kind person….

When our nanny died, I cried with Valdwin. It was sad that such a precious person died, but Valdwin’s secret was also buried with her very deeply.

Anyway, on another topic, “Didi.”

“Hmm?”