Chapter 8

Are all children like this?

Valdwin stroked Laila’s hair, who had fallen asleep in that brief moment. Her pink headband she had on her hair had long since been messed up.

“Lala, you need to wake up.”

But Valdwin’s voice was small, as if he had no intention of waking up Laila. Her plump cheeks would twitch every time Laila licked her lips.

Valdwin put his hand on Laila’s. Even though his hands were smaller than hers, why was she still considered small? Valdwin tilted his head and fiddled with Laila’s hair.

Small, thin and soft….

“Are all human children as small as you?”

Of course, there was no answer to his question, and Valdwin knew how to live safely in this world. Just like what his father did, his true nature wasn’t revealed to others – like a human child, concealing his instinct of his swordsmanship.

He doesn’t have a father to teach him how to mimic humans, so he was pretending to be Laila.

Valdwin put his finger under Laila’s nose, “It’s warm….”

The Lorovante couple were doing their best for Valdwin; they even disguised her as a girl to hide his identity. He decided to remember their efforts and decided in which direction his sword should be pointed.

Sleeping inside Valdwin, the Caliburn rang with a hum. It wants to drink the blood of its enemies right away. Valdwin twisted his lips.

Its murderous intent occasionally wandered through Valdwin’s mind. Magical swords are people who crave for blood. A red energy lingered on Valdwin’s fingertips before fading away. He withdrew his hand from Laila.

“Mmm….”

Laila mumbled as she felt something. Valdwin’s red eyes flashed blood-red and then faded away.

Laila blinked her big golden eyes. “Didi?” A small voice pierced Valdwin’s ear.

“Hmm, Lala. You woke up?” Valdwin asked, with a smile that had suddenly resembled Laila.

“Mmm… I am sleepy. What about mom?”

“They will come to pick you up if you wait here.”

“Ah….”

Laila reached out towards Valdwin.

“Come on, Didi. I’ll give you a hug.”

Even the words you mumble in your sleepy state are pretty.

Valdwin meekly placed himself inside Laila’s arms. She smells like milk mixed with the smell of a baby, and sweetness. Whenever he smelled it, even the living thing that strangely barks inside him seems to subside.

Valdwin laughed bashfully, just like Laila.

“Trust me, Didi. I… am Didi’s supporter. I… know everything….”

I don’t know what on earth you are talking about. She often said things to him he couldn’t understand but maybe because he was still a child. Valdwin leaned back on the sofa and closed his eyes.

It was after quite a while when Robelia found the two children sleeping cheek to cheek.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Laila’s eyes twinkled as Robelia and Adolph grabbed the children and put them on the bed.

“Lala?”

“Mom, I am awake.”

Thanks to Laila who opened her eyes while yawning, Robelia had no choice but to stop and sit down.