002. the reed's

tw, mention of death/loss of parents

CHAPTER TWO ( 🧺 )
narrative !

REMINGTON AND Paisley pulled into Kim and Caden's driveway, the eldest James child staring at the home next to it. She had spent a lot of time there with an ex-boyfriend of hers. Their relationship wasn't the best and had ended months ago, but it's how she met Kimberly and Caden.

The ex-boyfriend, Trevor Cook, had moved away to be closer with his parents. North Dakota to be exact, far enough away from her to at least be a bit comfortable. Remington had stayed with the two adults on a few occasions while she was with him. She just became family (they named their eight month old after her, with the name "Ember Remington Reed"). They had become like her parents in the two years she dated Trevor.

When Remington was eighteen and Paisley was eleven, their parents died in a car accident. Her father died on the scene and her mother passed away in the hospital four days after. It was right before graduation, but Remington who had always been a person for family, worked to gain custody of young Paisley. It took a bit. Paisley had been put into a foster home, but eventually, Remington did it. They moved to California shortly after that.

"You okay, Rems?" Paisley questioned, her hand pressed to her sister's shoulder.

Remington whipped her head around to look at the girl. She nodded, "Yeah, I'm good," she gave her a reassuring smile. She turned the car off, both of them sliding out of the vehicle. Remi locked it, slipping the keys into the tote bag on her shoulder.

Paisley knocked gently on the door and the two stood outside as they waited. The hinges squeaked as it opened, revealing the black haired, brown-eyed, Kimberly Reed.

"You girls know you can just come in, right?" She said with a smile, letting them in before giving them both hugs.

They both grinned, "Yeah, it just- I don't know," Remington shrugged, not finishing her thoughts.

She remembered her mother telling her that it was rude to just walk inside someone's home without knocking. Remington used to do it to Sam and Colby back in Kansas, still did it sometimes, but it was still awkward to just walk into Kim and Caden's home, even if they were welcome to do so.

Caden stepped out of the kitchen, wrapping his arms around both girls at the same time, "Dinner's almost ready. Just hang out for a bit, yeah?" Paisley and Remington nodded.

Remington placed her tote bag on the ground near the couch, sitting down with her sister and Kim, "How have the kids been?" Remi asked. She hadn't seen them in awhile, but she planned to visit again when they would be around.

"Ember just started crawling," Kim told them, a proud smile on her face.

Remington clapped her hands gently, "That's so exciting!"

"Evan is obsessed with Spider-man. I think he has watched "The Amazing Spider-man" seventeen times since Netflix added it.

"And Dylan started soccer. He really likes it."

Remington pressed her hands together, catching a glimpse of Paisley's grin. The kids were always so sweet. Dylan and Evan-which was short for Evander-loved to see the two siblings and even said they were like their older sisters.

"Dinner's ready!" Caden called and the all of them walked into the dining room where they ate, talking about their lives and when they should meet up again.

1 MESSAGE NOTIFICATION

COLBS!!
hey remiiiiiiiiiiiii

AUTHOR SPEAKS !
this was just a little meeting of
kim and caden/who they are to
the girls :)))