Chapter 9

"Mum?" I peak over the top of the stairs to see her sitting on the couch watching television. She turns her head to face me, her eyebrows raised in question.

"Good morning, Mara." She smiles softly at me, hands resting gracefully on her lap.

"I made you some fruit salad for breakfast. It's in the fridge." She turns back to her program - the same soap opera she watches every Sunday morning.

Carefully and quietly, I slide down the bannister and head towards the kitchen. When I open the fridge, I see my fruit salad full of the usual fruits: grapes, apples and oranges.

"Mum, when you're done with that can I talk to you?" I shout over to her from the kitchen, my view of the living room being blocked by the fridge door.

There's no response, so after grabbing a fork and sitting down I begin my breakfast. Mother always gets really into that program, crying and laughing...sometimes both at the same time.

"It's only a rerun," she says as she enters the kitchen. She begins putting the kettle on for tea, eagerly searching the cabinet underneath the sink for the lid.

"Top left." I point at the upper cabinet with my fork.

"Is something wrong? You said school was going well, right?" She runs the kettle under the sink, rinsing and filling it to the brim.

I nod. She already sounds worried about my school, and I don't want to scare her. I wasn't expelled, so as far as she needs to know everything is fine.

"I was just wondering if I could go to a concert." I bite my lip, nervous to hear what her response might be.

"What concert is it?" The kettle dings as it lands on the stove.

"The Rolling Stones."

"Oh, that sounds very nice. You made friends, then? Who is it you're going with?" She twists the knob on the stove, and it clicks before lighting into a small blue flame.

"Yeah, I made a friend." At least I think we're friends. I answer very quickly, eager for her to just say 'yes' and be done with the interrogation.

"What's her name?" She flips around, facing me as she leans against the counter.

Suddenly I feel very hot.

"Um-" her eyebrows furrow at my stammering, "it's a boy, actually."

She blinks at me a few times, clearly confused. Surprised too, it seems.

Gee, thanks mum.

"A date?" Her eyes glimmer.

"No!" I stab an apple slice with my fork. No, no it's not a date!

"No?" She looks at me in disbelief. "No need to get defensive, Mara. What's his name?"

"It's not just one person. It's a couple other people too..." I dismiss her actual question.

She scrutinizes me - her arms are crossed over her chest now - but thankfully she's interrupted by the kettle whistling.

"How much is the ticket?" The hot water releases a cloud of steam as she opens it to put in a teabag.

"Free." I mirror Johnny's words from the other day.

"A boy is buying you a ticket to an expensive show, and it isn't a date?" Her back is turned to me, but her tone of voice makes her suspicion very clear.

"He has a girlfriend, mum...she's coming too."

Yeah, Johnny has a girlfriend; and don't Steven and I know it!