Chapter 4

I walk in between Steven and Johnny with the larger man close behind us. He's breathing loudly - like an angry bull - and I swear I can almost feel his breaths on the back of my neck.

Gross.

We stop in front of a large brown door. There's no sign on it indicating where we've even arrived, but common sense leads me to believe this is the headmaster's office. The place where Johnny said you don't want to end up.

Somehow I managed to screw that up.

"Go in." Bull-man demands as he lets out an especially windy huff. Johnny opens the door sheepishly and Steven and I follow him inside.

"Sit down and wait." He slams the door, making me jump. The old wooden door creaks in protest.

I place myself in the middle chair and stare down at my hands. My breathing is heavy now, my heart thwacking loudly in my ears. I could faint. I might really faint.

"We'll cover for you, don't worry." Johnny assures me. Am I the only one who is visibly shaken? Johnny doesn't seem half as scared as I am. He's the exact opposite! I squeeze my eyes shut and count numbers backwards in my head.

This isn't real. This can't be real.

I focus on breathing in and out. Mother is going to be so disappointed. She doesn't need to stress herself over me anymore than she already has to waste her time with.

The door swings open and slams again. I bite down hard on my lip, mentally preparing myself for the worst possible outcome: expulsion.

Loud, fervent footsteps approach the desk in front of our chairs. I focus on the hardwood flooring. Chances are that the wood - at least going by the strange mildew scent in the room - hasn't been properly mopped in a long time.

I'm dreaming. This is a nightmare. It has to be. Pretty soon the clown from my childhood closet will come out juggling decapitated heads.

That isn't going to calm me down.

"John Maher. I should expel you right this second." A man's voice hisses. He must be the headmaster.

"And you are?" I glance up to see the dark haired man glaring at me as if I'm on trial for murder.

"Mara," I half mumble.

"What?" He asks loudly, clearly impatient with quiet homeschooled students like myself.

"Mara Vidal." I gulp and look back down.

There, there. I almost sounded brave.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you."

He doesn't have to be so rude. Immediately, I obey. But only because I have to.

"Good girl." He talks down to me. What a sexist bastard!

He moves on to his next prey.

"Steven Morrissey. Do you really think your mother wants to hear about this?"

He doesn't answer. Probably because the answer is obviously "no" and Steven knows that the headmaster likes to make people feel guilty. It's his job.

"Where were you three?" He sits down at his desk. His suit is faded and ugly; a dull dark green and cut in a way that makes him look especially old.

"We went to the park." Johnny says obediently, and truthfully. He sounds so... Different. Not at all like his cool self. I sweat nervously.

"And what? Thought you'd leave to screw around with this girl during school hours?"