Chapter 3

The bell rings loudly and I snatch up my things.

"Have a nice lunch!" Mr. Saul shouts over the hustle and bustle of students rushing to eat.

My eyes are glued to the ground as I walk next to Johnny towards the door.

"Hey Moz, this is Mara. She's coming to lunch with us." He says casually. What he actually means is "Hey, I feel bad for this loser, do you mind?"

"Steven," he introduces himself.

He, the one Johnny calls "Moz", smiles at me. I look away very quickly, reminding myself that the only reason I'm in this doomed situation is because I couldn't stop staring at him.

We walk out - the three of us - and I have to wonder how I managed any of this. But I didn't...did I? It was all Johnny.

"I have to stop at my locker."

"Yeah, sure." Johnny nods.

I'm walking to the left of Johnny, and to his right is Steven.

Good.

With my luck, I'd trip and fall over walking next to him.

We approach locker number 209 which just so happens to be right around the corner from Mr. Saul's classroom.

Steven undoes the lock with the utmost grace and the metal dark green door squeaks open. Images of Billy Fury flood his locker. Billy Fury singing live. Billy Fury posing on a record sleeve. There's Billy Fury all over and everywhere.

"You like Billy Fury?" I blurt. Obviously he does, what a stupid question!

He continues moving things around in his locker.

"You know who he is?" He asks brightly, sounding very much surprised.

"Of course, he's one of my favorites." I gush and I sound too excited.

I've never met anyone who's heard of him, let alone a fan. And out of all people, he has to be so impossible for me to talk to.

"Pft," Johnny butts in, "You guys got to get with the times."

Yes, he's right about that. Steven laughs softly, probably used to his friend's teasing. Once he finally gets the brown bag out of his locker he leads the way down the stairs.

"So you're in Realist Literature with Burr, too." Steven says as we turn round the hall.

He's talking to me?

"Yeah," I nod. "She yelled at you."

Why did I say that?! They both laugh.

"Yes, she certainly did," he says, sighing dramatically. "I was only a minute late."

"She gets people expelled when she really wants to," Johnny pauses, "You gotta stop coming late Moz. She'll fail you out!"

"Like you're one to talk about being on time -You come in late everyday!" he chastises him.

Johnny puts his hand over his mouth and gasps like a horrified mother.

"Now don't get feisty with me Steven!" He teases. I can't help but giggle along with them.

"Here, we have to go through this door. I'll go last. You first Moz."

He walks in front, very expertly glancing to check the halls, and exits.

"Okay, it's not too hard. Let this teacher pass," he whispers to me.

A tall blonde woman passes us by.