9. Palak Paneer, aren't you his favorite?

A K S H A R A

"Akshara" I heard a scream from the room, these days I am used to it. He just shouts about anything and everything. Sometimes the justification is as small as my hairpin stuck in his side of the mattress. At first, I believed he would take time to adjust as I am a total stranger but now he's just getting on my nerves. I was engrossed in thoughts and here we go the screaming wallflower is back. Hearing his I sprinted towards the room.

"Akshara mein kitni baar bola, don't mess up our things. Yeh dekho kya hua?" I followed his frown and peeked at the papers with my kajal smeared over them. "Par Abhimanyu Maine kuch nahi kiya" I answered back looking at him with a naive face and trying my best to hide the laughter that was tickling me inside.

"I did it, I thought it was a pen but it turned out to be this black sticky thing." He mumbled with the current frown deepening. My Bad!! The chuckle came out way too loud, I slowly peeped at his glaring form. "It's not funny" he screamed. "Yes yes, it's not" I shook my head vigorously.

"When are you applying for your admission?" He asked me in a tone, this time softer. *wonderful his mood transitions are smooth* "I have chosen some colleges, I handed it to dad. He said he will prepare a list of the best soon and will hand them to me." I said while adjusting my kajal stick. "You could've asked me instead" he proceeded "I would've helped you."

"It's okay, actually I agreed on doing it myself but papa proposed to help and I couldn't say no." I tried to assure him but why would he need assurance? I just continued the work I was doing before.

I don't know how to explain the void I feel these days, everything looked so perfect around me and I appeared like an odd fit. Maybe it's because I never carried anything inside me for this long. It's not about the secret talks or anything. I just wanted a person who could do me a champi, talk about their day ask about me. We just have a big chuckle on random jokes. 10-15 minutes of such talks boost a person like no other. The fatigue of being alone is killing me. This exhaustion is making me sulky sulky all day.

I looked at the man, who was busy reading files standing tall as a pole with no expression on his face, he raised his face and glanced at me, our eyes met. He stared for a good 10 seconds or so and then resumed examining his reports. What I am even anticipating apart from cold stares and glares. I signed for it. I should keep up with it. Thinking about this I went downstairs to talk to maa.

"Maa you look so beautiful," I said in a happy-happy tone as I saw her reflection in the mirror. "Subah subah makhan lagana shuru kiya?" she said looking at me smiling. "Nahi, Sacchi." I stared at her seriously and we both giggled. "Akshu, mein lunch prepare karke jaungi. Batao beta kya khana hain?"

"Maa, nahi aaj lunch mein banaungi. Aaj aapko kitchen se chutti." I shouted, "Haaye Bhagwan mere kitchen" she proceeded with the same dramatic expressions keeping up with mine. "Aapke kitchen ko kuch nahi hoge maa, yeh meri vaada" I flipped in a dramatic way and saw Abhimanyu, who was at the entrance, giving me strange looks to me.

"Beta aaj chutti hain kya?" she peeked at Abhimanyu and asked, "Maa I will stay till lunch today, zyaada kaam nahi hain hospital mein." He said stepping inside and settling on the dressing mirror chair. "Akshu beta ek kaam karo, aaj lunch mein na abhi ka favorite kuch banao. Warna har din lunch naam pe ghaas khaa rahe hain yeh."

"Maa healthy khana hain, woh healthy khana" he interrupted, I smirked.

"Matlab Abhimanyu woh khaane se human being ka lifespan 100 se 500 hoga kya?" I asked while giggling, maa looked at me and we both hi-fied and during this, I found a rare sight, Abhimanyu was smiling, I MEAN THE ABHIMANYU BIRLA IS SMILING WHEN THE JOKE WAS ON HIM. HE KNOWS TO SMILE.