Promises | Adrienette

"Shall we, kitty?" Marinette asked, smirking. "We shall, M'lady," Adrien smirked back. They transformed ready as ever, eyes shining with determination. Chat noir's hair swayed messily as his untamed and long hair covered his eyes partially. His green sclerae sparkled. Ladybug's hair draped around her shoulders beautifully as it was braided loosely. Her bluebell eyes reflected the light of the sun. It was an year or so since they have started dating and they were the best duo ever. They never failed each other and were always there for each other though thick and thin.

As they stood before the akumatised villain, they put on their bravest smiles. They were confident but not too overconfident. They were ready to win yet another battle.

Aftermath

The tension in the room thickened by the minute as Marinette wrapped her lover's hands with bandage. Neither of them wanted to talk because this has happened a million times. This was the only problem the two ever had, Adrien's overprotectiveness. Marinette knew he wouldn't listen this time either and decided to save her energy. As soon as she finished attending to Adrien, she started walking towards the window ready to transform but Adrien interrupted her.

"Oh, so now you're angry with me?" Adrien said, annoyed. Marinette tried to keep calm but she couldn't handle it anymore. She swiftly turned around. "I told you a hundred of times Adrien. I don't need you to protect me. I don't need you to take hits for me. I can handle myself," Marinette talked, loudly.

"Well, of course I know you can handle yourself. But it is my duty to take care of you. I can't just see something coming towards you and let you get hurt, can I?" Adrien got up from his bed and walked towards Marinette.

Can't she just see? How was he supposed to watch his lady get hurt infront of his own life? If he let Marinette get hurt, he will never forgive himself, ever. Can't she just see that he cares for her a lot. Can't she see that he cannot live without her? He would be a total mess.

"Well, I don't see why I need help. I can clearly handle myself and I'll be just fine without you," Marinette shouted, on the verge of tears. She didn't need Adrien to help her. She didn't need Adrien to sacrifice for her. She didn't need to see Adrien get hurt because of her.

"Oh, and now everything is about you? That you can handle yourself and that you don't need help?" Adrien retorted angrily.

"No! Everything is about. Nothing is about me. It is you and all you. You think you don't need help but you need. You think that everything is on you but it isn't. You think that is your duty to protect me but it really isn't. What would I do without you? Have you ever thought of that! Have you ever thought about the mess I would become if you suddenly disappear from my life. Have you ever thought of that? Have you ever thought of the painful guilt I fell everyday? Have you ever heard the sound of my heart whenever you take the hits for me? It is not about me, Adrien. You make feel this awful feeling every time, Adrien. It is not fair!" Marinette screamed, tears spilling rapidly down her porcelain pale cheeks. She fell on to the floor, her knees scraping as she cried her lungs out, overwhelmed with emotions.

Marinette cuddled herself, tightly. She couldn't bear to lose Adrien. That would be her worst nightmare. Adrien immediately rushed towards his Princess and hugged her tightly. He really didn't know that Ladybug was mentally affected because of him. "I'm so sorry, Marinette. I am so sorry. I didn't realise how much I was hurting you," Adrien apologised, tearing up as well. They cried quietly, silence feeling the air.

"I know you protect me because you care for me, Kitty," Marinette whispered after a while. They stared at each other, pain and love etched in their eyes. The leaned slowly and kissed each other like there was no tomorrow. It was kiss filled with love, pain, passion and care. It felt blissful and tears rolled down their cheeks and they could taste the salt of the other's lips.

"I'm sorry," Adrien whispered after they parted. Adrien or Chat noir weren't the kind of person to get vulnerable so easily. Marinette seeing Adrien at this age, ached her heart. "It is ok, Kitty. It is all ok," Marinette said, looking at him. There was a guilt look in his eyes as Adrien stared back at her. "What is it, Adrien?" Marinette asked.

"I-I know I should not be to protective of you but I just can't help it. I mean how can I watch my girlfriend get hurt? It is an instinct. A-and I don't I can change that. B-but I'll try my best to trust you to take care of yourself," Adrien replied, his eyes becoming glossy. Marinette hugged him tightly and buried her head into his chest.

"I know, Adrien. I know. And it is selfish of me too. I know you do it because you love me and your love is my greatest gift. Just promise, you will be careful. Promise you will never live me," Marinette said, giving a tiny smile to Adrien as she stuttered over her word. "Yeah, M'lady. I promise to always be careful. I promise," Adrien replied quietly, sighing into the night. They closed their eyes, feeling the presence of the other as they cradled each other, not moving even once.

But no all promises are meant to be kept...

Three years later

The cold wind was howling as it caressed her arms and the trees were swaying left and right. Dark clouds loomed over her head. There was mist everywhere. The oversized black hoodie danced around her body as she hugged herself tightly. Shakily, she dropped to her, scraping her knees across the rough surface. She gently brought her hands towards the cold stone. The stone was as cold as ice and it brought electrifying chill throughout her body. Tears rolled down her pale, cold face onto the stone. More droplets started pouring from her eyes as she breathe out a whisper. "Adrien." Her heartbeat accelerated and she sniffled softly.

"H-hi K-kitty," she whispered a huge lump in her throat. "H-how are you?" Marinette continued, as she felt difficult to breathe. She stayed silent for awhile as if waiting for a response. All she got was the growling of the wind. It suddenly started to rain heavily but Marinette remained there unaffected. Her eyes turned darker as more tears flowed down like rivulets. After a while she let out another whisper.

"You didn't keep your promise."