Ch. 2 - Hi

Mia: I got to my next class rather quickly, and took a glance around the room, no familiar faces sadly. my closest friend last year had switched schools, so I was pressed more on making new friends. I walked toward the front row of desks when I saw him sitting, yet alone again in the back of the room, I pondered whether I should sit next to him. Would it be weird? He probably doesn't have anyone else to sit with... maybe out of pity, or maybe it was something else, I made my way toward his table. In the friendliest voice I could muster I said "Hi... umm is this seat taken?." No response. "Um, I don't know if you remember but we sat next to each other in chemistry?"

Austin: Oh shoot! NONONONO this can't be happening, why is she asking to sit next to me! How do I respond? Is she trying to make fun of me? Or does it make her feel like a "better person" to sit next to the lonely fat guy?!

Without making eye contact, I shook my head.

" Ookay cool! My name is Mia, by the way, what's yours?" She said as she placed her bag on the floor and took her seat.

"Austin," he replied in a low, muffled tone.

She was looking at me, I could feel it. I wanted more than anything for her to go away, to her normal life and not judge me any further.

"Cool! Nice to meet you Austin! Are you new here? I've been going here since middle school!" No reply... I worried that I scared him off, but I was also a little frustrated that he didn't answer me. Maybe he didn't feel like talking?

English class started, and the teacher passed out a worksheet titled " get to know your classmates"  It was a little childish for high school seniors, but whatever I thought. The teacher informed us that we were to fill out this paper about our table partner.

"Sooooo? Umm" I glanced down at my paper, the first blank was their name, age, birthday, and hobbies. "Wellll we already know each other's names!" I tried to laugh a little to lighten the mood. No response. "Hey... um, Austin? I.." I didn't know what to say to make him engage in conversation, I can't force him to talk to me... I'm just trying to be nice after all.

He looked up at me, signed, and said "I'm.." How old was I? Shoot she's gonna think I'm an idiot "Oh I'm 17" His gaze was focused steadily on his paper.

I smiled, "Me too! My birthday is on September 21st!" I filled in my paper as I said "My birthday is April 21st, when is yours?

He began filling out the blanks with an unsharpened pencil, and muttered "December 17th."

When they had both gotten to the "hobbies section" Mia started "hmmm Well I like to draw and umm I like watching anime? What about you Austin?"

I didn't want to answer the question. Frick. Why didn't she just fill in the blank with "getting fat"... She had to have noticed my fat bloat, it nearly touched the table for goodness sake...

"Austin?" Mia coaxed again, gently.

Austin jumped, forcing his belly to jiggly slightly beneath his sweatshirt. Mia had been unintentionally gazing beneath the table when she saw his round belly jiggle slightly to his sudden movement. Something inside her gave her a mysterious tingly, giddy feeling, the feeling was strange and she didn't know why.

He snapped out of his thoughts " um" He noticed her blank face staring down towards his stomach. "Crap! CrapCrapCrap... She must've seen my belly jiggle, "I'm... I'm so s-sorry you had to s-see that... it must be so... um gross." Austin bent over, wrapping his arms around his waist.

NO oh no, he saw me staring, what do I do!?!? I didn't mean to stare "OH no no I'm so sorry, I... I was just in a daze! I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable at all! I'm so sorry I-!" She noticed his face looked down, as he turned his head away from her.

"Ah! Soo back to the worksheet... What did you say your hobbies were?"

What? I had assumed she'd stop talking to me... "Um, I like to uhh... Watch..." She said she watched anime right? I watch some stuff too but she'd probably think I'm weird if she knew what I watched. "Um, I like to watch anime *sometimes*..."

"Really!? That's so cool!" We had a short concession in which I mostly ranted about my latest obsession, and since he hadn't heard of it, I just had to explain the plot and every mild detail to him.

"Oh- I'm so sorry! I kinda went on a rant there! I don't usually get to talk to others about my interests so thank you for listening!"

Thank you for listing? Even though I had never heard of the show I wanted to see it now, she talked so fast but with so much passion... It was kinda cute... FRICK what the frick am I doing!! Hold yourself together Austin! What are you thinking... dumba**. "Oh- um no problem! I should watch that sometime! It sounds really interesting!" I forced a slight giggle. I felt my cheeks getting warm... oh no I was probably blushing so hard! Ahhh how is this even real? Why is she so nice to me?

I saw a shy smile creep over Austin's face, his child-like skin dimpled as the excess chubb on his "U" shaped face, and he started to lightly blush... At least he didn't mind...

"RIINNNNGGG RINNGG" The second-period bell frightened the two, as both had gone silent with their thought.

"Oh well, I'll see you around Austin!" I said cheerfully.

"Oh- yeah you too"

I packed my things up and left, "bye Austin!"

"B-b-b-bye- Bye!" It was too late, she had already left. 

Authors note:

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote or comment and I'll hopefully see you down below!