CH. 3 - Friends?

Lunch had finally arrived, and Mia was eagerly awaiting her bento box that she prepared the night before. As I went down the stairs to the Eating Hall, I suddenly realized I didn't know who I would sit with! My heart started beating faster, and anxiety crept around me, the fear of eating by myself and having to present myself with a 'mask' on. However, I didn't feel the need to do that with Austin, in fact, I actually felt really comfortable around him which is unusual for me around guys, or people my age in general. A part of me thought it was his particularly round physique that made me feel so at ease.

I approached the lunch room, the noise rose to a low but constant murmur, I felt so panicked. Then a thought popped into my mind... I should sit with Austin! I knew he wouldn't have anyone to sit with, erasing the fear of not sitting with anyone. I took a minute or two, walked up and down some rows, scanning for his carrot red hair... but he was nowhere to be found! Maybe he was just late to lunch? Actually, he was super late, I checked the time, and I only have five minutes left to eat! I quickly sat at a table with some other scattered groups, making me feel less distanced. I quickly took out my lunch and nearly choked on it I was eating so fast. Slow down, Mia... I hadn't even taken 3 bites when the 8-minute bell rang. Dang it! Well, hopefully, tomorrow I'll find someone to sit with... I hate eating by myself.

I quickly made my way up the stairs and to my locker. To my surprise, at the end of the hallway, I saw him! He was sitting in a corner by the lockers. "Austin!" I walked a little faster, he didn't seem to hear me. "Austin!" I said a little louder this time. He looked up, surprised, his face looked so sad! As I got a little closer I could see traces of tears? Had he been crying? I felt my stomach drop a little. "Austin? Are you alright... You look-"

"I'm fine. Please leave." He mumbled, trying to hide the fact that he had been crying, and wiped any remaining tears with his chubby hands.

I sat down beside him, "Oh- um you don't seem fine... Please, if there's anything I can do! The first days can be hard! I sat alone myself at lunch today..."

He looked up at her, confused. WHAT! She sat ALONE only losers like me sit alone, wouldn't she have a ton of friends? She seemed so sociable? .. "oh... Um... I'm sorry you had to go through that... Sitting alone really sucks, but I'm *kinda used to it*." He muttered the last part under his breath

"Oh No no please don't feel bad for me! It's my own fault for not being more social... Anyway, I was looking for you there, I thought we could eat together but then... Um yeah."

SHE WAS LOOKING FOR ME!!!! No no no she can't know... She can't! Why did she look for me? She couldn't want to sit with me... right?

I notice his face look distorted, his lip started quivering before tears staring running down his cute round cheeks. "Oh no! I- I hope I didn't say anything to upset you!" This made him sob even louder. "No no please don't cry! Wait-" I should correct myself, I don't want him to feel like he shouldn't be able to express his emotions! "I'm sorry, that was a mistake, please feel free to cry, and let out whatever you have to!" He seemed to be calming down a bit, I wanted to hug him so badly but I didn't want to make him uncomfortable!

I glanced down, I didn't see any traces of a lunch anywhere so I asked: "hey, I don't see you have a lunch, did you forget it at home or something?"

I shook my head... no she can't know... ugh you stupid stupid idiot! Of course, she knows you already stuff yourself every minute you get anxious, how else would you be so big?. I saw she was about to pry again, "no- please stop, I.. *hic* don't want *hic* please just leave!" he didn't mean to raise his voice at the last part... guilt weighed on him for yelling at her innocent attempt to try and comfort him.

"Your right I- I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to pry... I- I'll leave now... I have to get to class anyway..." she was struggling to hold back a tear as she got up to leave.

"Wait.. please don't go... I ... I'm so sorry I raised my voice! I didn't mean to at all its just.."

"No, you're totally fine! I shouldn't have pried, I know food is a sensitive topic for a lot of people" She smiled, "Um.. can I give you a hug?" Oh, SHOOT what did I just say?? A hug? What were you thinking Mia! He's not gonna want a hug from you!

A.. a hug? No- I can't... My body- my stomach will touch hers and... NO! The thought of his flabby belly touching her thin body... he started in louder sobs now, completely unable to control himself.

Frick! I just made him cry harder! Nooo that is not what I wanted to do!! I shouldn't have asked! But I really want to... comfort him! She slowly turned her body to face his direction and gently wrapped one arm around his neck, and one on his upper back. She felt him freeze, not even breathing or crying anymore, just frozen. I felt his stomach quickly contract under my elbow. I whispered in his ear "Austin.." I wanted to tell him how nice it felt to hold him, "um... You don't have to suck in or anything... I really don't mind."

She... no what did she just say? She "didn't mind" his stomach? But- that's impossible why- something told him to let go, so he did.

Mia secretly smiled when he did this, he relaxed his muscles a bit too, he was so great to hug, as he was basically a giant pillow! She started rubbing his back in circular motions, after a few seconds he turned and wrapped his arms around her, laying his head timidly on her boney shoulder. "Thank you," he said "thank you for everything"

Mia didn't want the moment to end... Were not even friends, I barely know him, why did I want to hug him for so long?

They drew away from the hug, Austin looked down as he wiped away the tears and asked in such a shy voice, "Mia.. do you think we could be f- friends?"

Authors note:

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote or comment and I'll hopefully see you down below!