Ch. 5 - The Question

Mia: After that night, I had come to the conclusion that yes, I have a crush on Austin but for now, I was fine with just being his friend.

It was the end of the first quarter that was approaching, as was our school's annual Fall Dance. People were cramming to make signs for the girl or guy they were asking out, personally had never attended one of these events... as I never had a guy to go with.

Austin: I lay in bed, after stress eating.. Yet again. This time it was over something different... It was about Mia. This was my first time having to think about a school dance... at my old school, I didn't bother to think of asking anyone out, as I already could predict their reaction. But this time, I wanted so badly to ask Mia... But how? I practiced reacting to what I would say in my head a thousand times and still, didn't know how I would do it... Should I do it?

If I asked her out as just friends she'd probably be more likely to say yes, after all that's all we really are... I mean I'm so grateful that I have her, and that she is my friend, but I can't help but want us to be more than that.

I brought the idea up to my mom, she said that she would be proud of me whether Mia said yes or no, after all, it would be a big step since I'd never gotten this close to a girl in my life. Even that conversation ended horribly when my dad walked into the room and overheard what I was talking about... The usual "Well boy you only have 2 weeks to shed some pounds before you could ever consider her saying yes" etc. Ever since then he would often remind me of how lazy and unmotivated I was to lose any weight.... For a while, I thought "what's the point" why give up food, one of the only comforts I have? But now with Mia... I really want to lose weight so that she'll like me. But even then would she even want to date me?

It was a week before the Dance, Mia and Austin were in their normal seats in the first period.

Mia: Austin seems kinda nervous today. Should I ask what's bothering him? I don't want to pry like I so often do, especially if it's food-related, I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable again. She noticed his right leg bouncing up and down, he had his head rested between his hands.

"Mia.." He said in a low voice He swallowed hard before continuing.

I quickly turned towards him "hey what up? You seem kinda nervous today-" SHooot I asked! Stupid stupid stupid!

"Oh- um no nothing is really wrong but I wanted to ask you a... question?"

"Yeah of course Austin! You know you can tell me anything!" What did he need to ask me? I hope it's nothing bad!

"Ummm" My stomach was in knots... should I really ask? Maybe I'll make up a stupid question.

Mia looked at him, eyes wide open, anticipating an answer

"Um uh..M- Mia... I-I--I wanted to ask if you would come with me to the *d-dance*... um but just as friends! Of course.. *if you want... Um, you don't have to say yes... I don't want to pressure you or anything... Just thought it'd be fun?"

He turned away shyly and winced his eyes in fear of her response.

"Austin of course Ide love to come! That would be so much fun! Thanks for asking me!" I smiled, completely taken off guard and flattered. I could tell how nervous he was... Kinda cute... not gonna lie. But Security I wished he hadn't added in the "Just as friends part".

We both smiled and planned out what we would wear, we decided on a dark green- I already had a formal dress in that color, and Austin just had to buy a tie that matched!