Ch. 9 - The Diagnosis

It was a rainy Monday morning at 7 am. I and Austin had both taken off school for this particular event: Austin's first therapy session. Since our first official restaurant date, I had pushed Austin to go see someone about his eating habits, and even though he was reluctant, I finally talked him into it, as long as I would go with him, which I was more than happy to do.

We walked quickly to the door of our car, trying to avoid getting drenched by the precipitation. The waiting room had a yellow- tint to it, with light blue upholstery chairs with thick oak armrests. I fumbled to grab ahold of his hand, and when I did I gave it a tight squeeze.

We checked in, and still holding hands, we took a seat in one of the empty chairs. I looked over at Austin, he looked uncomfortable in the tight seat, far too tight for his rather wide frame.

"You nervous?"

"um yeah kinda... but I think it'll just be like all the other doctors and people I've seen before. "

"Oh- well what were the other ones like?"

"ahh... y'know the usual fat guy goes to doctor's experience.... go on a diet, run a marathon blah blah blah... I'm so sick of hearing it because it's never gonna work for me.

"I see... Well, I'll make sure this one doesn't turn out the same if I can help it!" I wasn't going to let Austin walk out of here with a "you need to lose weight" diagnosis.

"Austin, you're up!"

I patted his plump hand "We're up!" He sighed and struggled out of his seat, as we both followed the lady to a tiny room on the right side of the hallway. There were two comfortable chairs that we each took a seat in, as the slim middle age woman took a seat at her desk directly across from us.

"Hey, guys! My name is Mrs. Harrington... (etc.) She counited to tell us about her husband, and three children, all of which were in college, and her degree in Psychology.

"So, enough about me, what brings you here, Austin?"
Austin described to her much of what he had told me when we were at my house. She asked a few more questions and then asked if she and Austin could have a few seconds alone, to give him the opportunity to open up if there was anything he wasn't comfortable with me knowing. I agreed and stepped out of the room. A few minutes later, Austin walked out with his head hung below his shoulders and a downcast look on his face.

I practically ran up to him, taking his two hands in mine, I asked "Austin! Austin what happened? Is everything all right?"
He shook his head, "Mia she diagnosed me with a Binge Eating Disorder... just like you said. I'm sorry I feel like such a mess!"

"Oh, Austin! That's actually great news! Now they can give you medicine, or give you other tools that aren't just to help you lose weight!"

"Yeahh I guess... it is kinda nice to know that I'm not just a pig and that there's a reason behind what I do."

I hugged him tightly, rubbing his upper back. "I'm so proud of you baby" I whispered in his ear.