Ch. 6 - The Dance pt. 1

Sorry this update is a day late!! I may have forgot to upload yesterday:)

Mias pov:

Tonight was the night. The big dance. I sat down at my vanity, and pulled out my makeup drawer, would Austin like it if I wore more than just mascara? I wonder if he would notice.. Probably not I concluded. Regardless, I continued with some light, natural-looking makeup, some eyeliner, and mascara. I had 30 more min. Until I had to leave... Oh no, what should I do with my hair!? I usually leave it down, but tonight's special... after a quick scroll through Pinterest, I decided on an easy side braid into a low- messy bun. I slipped into my dark green dress... I looked at myself in the mirror.... Did it show too much of my boxy figure? I didn't know, but it was too late now, so I hurried downstairs and rushed out the door as always.

Austins pov:

Ack, my palms are so sweaty... I'm really hungry too, should I eat before I go? No way that's a terrible idea Austin... After getting out of the shower, he laid on the deodorant, brushed his hair, and with some hair spray, he actually styled it for once, these things he had no problem with... but now it was time for the suit. He hadn't warned one sense about the 6th-grade middle school dance... No- Austin don't think about it... Mia's not like that... She wouldn't do that right?

Before getting his clothes, he looked at himself in the mirror, examining, and squeezing his round, doughy belly. Why? Why are you like this? He muttered to himself. He turned to the side, grabbing the excess fat hanging over his boxers... disgusting. He looked down, relaxing he could barely see his toes.

Disgusted, and utterly defeated, he slowly walked to his closet and pulled out a white button-up shirt, a dark green bow tie, black dress pants, and a black jacket. He walked back in front of his bathroom mirror. He avoided looking in it, it would just make him feel even worse. But this time he had to. He took a deep breath then sucked in as he exhaled, forcefully pulling up the pants. They fit fine around his legs, but they were rather tight around his hips... he struggled to button them which took a good five minutes. "*sigh* he sat down on his bed... I really can't eat or drink anything at the dance... Next, he buttoned his white shirt... Just three more buttons left...He could feel the unconformable snugness of it, as he struggled to button the black jacket as well. "BUTTON IT STUPID! IT'S NOT THAT HARD!" Frustrated, almost in tears, he decided to leave it unbuttoned.

Mom had to work tonight so dad had to drive me. This made Austin feel even more nervous than before, any time spent with Jim was never pleasant, and I was already SO nervous to see Mia... All I wanted to do was eat and eat to fill the hole in my stomach.

Jim was already in the car, so I ran down the stairs, out of breath and panting heavily, I opened the car door and got in.

"So you got a date eh?" He said in a sarcastic voice.

"Oh- well she's not really a date, we're going as just friends..." *b-but I kinda want more than that*....

"OHHH so you like her huh? What does she look like?"

This can't be good, it's never good when a girl is involved in the conversation. "Um. well, she has really big, beautiful brown eyes, blonde hair... Um some light freckles around her cheeks... an- and she's really nice to me, she likes to talk to me about shows she watches, and she's the first girl not to talk to me out of pure pity.." Describing her made him feel light inside, it was as if he was describing an angel, I could feel my heart rapidly beating inside my chest.

A big, grinning smile came over his face, he chuckled to himself.

"Wellll I'm not surprised you have shed any pounds for her yet! It's really sad you know, nothing could make you lose weight, not even a girl you like... ya fat lard!"

Cover your ears Austin... I felt a burning sensation as tears started to swell up in my eyes. I knew its true. It's all true. I want to lose weight- I really do, but eating... the thought of taking that away from myself is almost unbearable.

"Austin! AUSTIN! Are you listing to me? Snap out of it!" He screamed, clapping in my face multiple times.

I remained silent, that's all I could do as his voice slowly faded into the distance.

I felt a huge jolt, the set belt digging into my side. I looked up, and to my relief we had arrived at the school parking lot. My shakey hand unbuckled my seat belt, as I hopped out of the car. I tried to ignore Jim's insults, even though I knew they were all true. I walked to the men's bathroom, before heading into the gym where everyone was. I looked in the mirror again, even with a suit on I still look fat. He wiped his forehead with a moist paper towel and noticed sweat stains had already formed on his underarms. Frick! What am I supposed to do? I should have brought an extra shirt or something... He put his arms directly at his sides, even though his spare tires prevented them from laying flat and checked if the stains were still visible. They weren't, thank goodness!

Austin sheepishly made his way to the gym. It was already crowded, he made his way to the side and looked over the crowd for any signs of Mia. None. Was she running late? Probably, she's always late. He couldn't shake the dreaded thought that she wasn't coming through.

Five, ten, fifteen minutes had gone by with Austin standing awkwardly to the side, as couples danced around and talked. He felt so lonely. Food... I really want some food. He had noticed a food bar near the back... No... I really shouldn't.