Ch. 7 - I love you

It had been three months since that first night when we decided we wanted to be more than just "friends." And honestly, it has been the best three months of my life. At the time, we acknowledged our feelings for each other but decided we weren't ready to formally date, that was until 3 days ago when Austin formally asked me to go on a date with him. We decided on going to a book store date at Barns n' Nobels, as we were both anime and book geeks, we thought this would be fitting.

Now, I know on a normal date the guy usually picks the girl up, but since neither one of us had our diverse license, my parents had decided to drop me off at his house instead.

I sheepishly knocked on the door. Even though I had known him for 5 months, actually going on a "date" still gave me butterflies, which I loved. I could hear a man yell "Austin go get the door!" Must be Astuins father? He's never really talked that much about his family, but I knew his Dad was verbally abusive to some extent which made me nervous.

"Hi," an out-of-breath Austin said softly as he opened the door.

I giggled nervously. I looked him up and down, trying not to make it apparent that I was. He was wearing a black and blue baseball hat- it honestly looked so good on him, I might just have to steal it from him to tease him! He was wearing a basic tee, but then I looked down at his legs, expecting to see jeans or pants but no- he was wearing tan shorts that ended just above his knee!!

"Hi- You look really cute today... It's a nice change to see you in shorts, you've never worn them before!"

"Ah, t-thank you! I guess I somehow built up more confiadce.. You look gorgeous, as usual. um, would you like to go now?"

We were about to leave when someone came bursting out the door. A tall, middle-aged man eagerly held out his hand, I shook hands with him, and he introduced himself as Austin's father.

"So I hear you two are going on a date here? I'm Austins Dad, Jim." Arms folded, and a smirk came across his face. I had a bad gut feeling about this man.

"O-oh yes, we are sir."

"Ha, good luck!" He turned to face Austin, who was staring downward with a grim expression on his face. "Boy you better not eat too much I tell you! I don't have a clue on how she's still with you even though you have shed one pound! It's a miracle I tell you!"

I was shocked at what he said... A miracle? Why is it so hard for people to understand that looks mean nothing to me, as they should, and besides that, I find Austin's body so attractive anyway, why is that so unheard of?

I tugged at Austin's sleeve. We needed to leave, and fast.

"T-thanks f-for introducing yourself, we- we have to go now! Bye!" I quickly turned as Austin followed. The original plan was for Austin's Dad to give us a ride, but that was out of the window now.

As we walked further down the street I turned to look at Austin, his face looked similar to that of a sad puppy dog. I should say something, but what? My mind was still trying to process the nerve his Dad had to speak to him like that.
"Austin... should we take a bus instead? There's one right down the block!"
"Oh um, sure I guess if you still want to that is." He said in a sad, moppy voice.

"Yes! Of course, I do!" I tried to sound as enthusiastic as possible to cheer him, but I still couldn't find the right words to comfort him. We made it all the way to the train station, and then to Barns and Nobles without saying a word.

We walked into the welcoming area.

"Do youu wanna go to the second story? That's where all the Manga books are." I asked Austin.

"Yeah... sure." He still sounded down. I was about to go the stair route, as that was right in front of us, but quickly I walked towards the escalator instead.

He was walking behind me so I paused and waited for him to catch up. When he did I walked at his pace and got onto the escalator. Looking ahead, I swung my hand closer to his, softly manipulating his fingers in between mine, giving his chubby hand a hard squeeze. He looked down, eyes wide, he quickly took his hand away.

"Austin, is everything all right? I just wanted to h-hold your hand, so others know we're together." It might seem cringy to want everyone to know I was dating Austin, but it was the truth. He looked at me, his eyebrows slightly curved in a worried expression.

"Why on earth would you want people to know we're dating?"

"Why? Because... Because I really like you, and despite what your Dad tries to tell you, it's no miracle that I'm still with you! Besides don't people usually hold hands while on dates?"
"Mia I-I love you..." Our faces turned hot red.

It felt like a weight had been lifted off me, I felt so light like I could fly. "I love you too Austin." I took his hand in mine once more, this time making sure it couldn't slip away, as my body pressed into his shoulder I gave him a simple kiss on the cheek.

I turned away, shy, but still holding hands, he looked at me and smiled.

"Mia, you are the absolute best."
My heart exploded inside my chest with indescribable happiness. I rested my head on his soft shoulder, as we walked off to be weebs together.