-20-

jane

so here I am sitting in the car for a solid hour debating whether or not to go in to mike's basement to play dnd. it had been two years since the last time i saw her face and to see it again would be a literal shock to my core. i take a couple of shaky deep breaths and open the car door slowly when someone comes hurling towards the car door.

"ouch" a familiar voice from the ground says.

I close the door to find the exact person I was afraid to see. "max?" I ask concerned.

"yeah" she looks up at me with her freckled face and her hair is put up into a bun which is different as I am familiar with her mess of red curls.

"you need some help up?" I ask hold out a hand.

"no i'm fine" she says standing up and grabbing her skateboard.

"where's your helmet that's a little dangerous don't you think?"

"i don't need you to tell me what's dangerous or not"

"max please can we just not make this awkward and go in have a good time."

"whatever." she looks away and walks up to the door ringing the bell.

"hey uh speak of the devil guys it's max and el!" dustin answers shouting to the other boys.

"nice to see you dustin" I smile following max into the house.

we go downstairs into mike's basement to see a set up of snacks on a table and of course the dnd campaign. will had already arrived hours earlier claiming he had something to talk about with mike. they had broken up due to the move to Cali but I knew they still deep down loved each other.

"hey jane, it's nice seeing you here it's been such a long time" lucas says pulling me in for a hug.

"nice seeing you too!" I smiled looking over at the faces I had missed for so long.

mike and will were sitting together and chatting quietly. will laughed at something mike had said and i smirked making eye contact with him. will flipped me off which I wouldn't have expected before but over the past few years he's developed a bit of an attitude.

max stood in the corner with her arms crossed frowning and I wanted to approach her so badly but I knew she would just shut me down.

-flashback-

"i have to go" jane said as she pulled away from the embrace.

it was pouring down and the byers family had packed up their uhaul ready to leave.

"you don't even wanna try to make things work?" max said furrowing her eyebrows pushing on the topic.

"please don't make me explain it to you again, it'll just hurt. max, i won't forget you i promise but i need to go"

"fine, just leave like everyone else."

jane sighed and turned away walking to jonathan's car.

that was the last time they had saw each other until now.

-end of flashback-

max

it was late into the night and after a long game of dnd everyone was tired. we all decided to stay the night and so I set up my sleeping bag in the corner. I felt bad about my withdrawn and bad attitude behavior all night but i just couldn't handle seeing jane. i wish i had it like will and mike, they had been flirting all night long despite having been broken up with for two years.

"max?" i'm woken up by a whisper directly in my ear at 2 am.

"what i'm sleeping" i say very annoyed knowing exactly who was right in my ear.

"i thought i heard something outside" jane says with a quiver in her voice.

"big deal"

"can you come check with me please?"

"no."

she flashed her flashlight in my eyes.

"ow what the fuck?"

"would you quit being an asshole and come with me..."

"ugh fine." I get up and follow her to the basement door leading outside.

the night is a little chilly and all I hear is the wind rustling against the trees. "there's nothing out here"

"no I swear I heard something-"

there's a rustling in the bushes and she jumps grabbing a hold of me. my heartbeat speeds up a bit.

"it's gotta be nothing" I say skeptical.

she let's go and gathers the courage to walk forward to the bush.

"oh."

"what?"

"hi kitty" she says crouching down and stands up holding an orange cat.

"unbelievable" I roll my eyes. "seriously it's just a cat?"

"look it's just like you" jane laughs obviously pointing to the fact the cat has orange fur similar to my hair color.

"I take offense to that" I roll my eyes.

she walks over to me holding the cat and makes some intense eye contact.

I feel very awkward right now standing here.

"i'm sorry I left" she says softening her expression and eyes after a long pause of silence

"it's fine you had to" I say looking down at my feet.

"i know but we could've at least tried to make it work" she says setting down the cat.

"it wouldn't have you were right."

"i was caught up in the what if's of things"

"well what if you hadn't left?" I ask looking at her.

"maybe things would be different." she keeps her eyes on me and steps forward a little. "i missed you"

"i missed you too" i lean in forward and i can feel the tension in the air.

we both lean forward until-

"guys what are you doing out here?" will asks with a puzzled and suspicious look on his face.

// guys why am I literally continuing a fanfic I started in middle school years later I'm insane