-3-

The day was finally over and I went to my locker grabbing my backpack and skateboard. I shoved past many other students heading to and from their lockers and walked outside into the crisp autumn breeze. There was no use waiting for my stepbrother especially considering it was the first day of school. "He's probably on some lame ass date with a girl he picked up" I scoffed to myself and got on my skateboard.

The smell of sweaty teenagers and slushies filled my nose as I pushed passed people in the only place I felt right in, the arcade. Walking over to my favorite game Dig Dug I started playing. Five minutes and an annoying voice I had only heard today filled my ears.

"don't hog the video games!" I turned around to face mike and looked at him in disgust.

"you really know how to be polite don't ya?" I sarcastically asked.

"oh ew its you that girl who almost killed my girlfriend"

"ew its the popular boy who can't stop being an ass"

"you don't belong here"

"is that so? says who?"

"says me! girls don't play video games"

"mhm then game on, lets see who can get the highest score"

"fine."

"I win, unless you can beat that, but its 5 pm so" I said smugly with my arms crossed looking at mike.

"n-not fair"

"why are you such an asshole to every one anyways?"

mike looked at me rolling his eyes "i'm not."

"will told me how you abandoned him and his friends"

he just stared at me with a kind of sad look "that's non of your business" he mumbled, "just leave me and my girlfriend alone."

"uh you're the one who bothered me this time"

"whatever." mike said walking away clearly upset I couldn't help but wonder why he got so upset after I mentioned will.

Walking out into the dark I shivered from the cold fall air. Then I saw her, jane, sitting on a bench outside of the arcade. As I picked up my skateboard still looking at her I noticed she was crying. So I walked over and sat next to her.

"are you okay?" I asked.

"y-yeah i-i'm o-okay" she said teeth chattering as she wiped her eyes.

I took off my green sweatshirt and offered it to her, "here, so you don't die from hypothermia" I chuckled a little.

"oh um thanks" she replied.

A silence fell over us as I just sat there with an extremely pretty brunette haired girl with brown chocolate eyes

                        jane
As I clutched the sweatshirt from the red-headed girl who I had no idea the name of and who I had just met today, I sat there thinking, thinking about how I had just been dumped by mike wheeler the boy I had been dating for months. I sniffled and needing someone to hug, I hugged the girl and she hugged back.

"sorry, i'm such a mess" I said pulling away. "I never got your name, what is it?"

"its fine really, and i'm max" she smiled at me with the most beautiful smile I had ever seen.

"nice to meet you, i'm jane"

"I know."

I made mike such an ass in this lmao but don't worry he won't be like that the whole time ;)