020. 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐝𝐚𝐲

chapter twentyperfect day

chapter twenty
perfect day

🖤

THERE'S ALWAYS A CALM BEFORE THE storm — where everything feels completely fine, the once imminent danger disappears, just for a little while. In Ruby's case, there was one perfect day. One perfect day that preceded the worst week of her life. Nothing was spectacular in itself, but everything was so normal, so simple, that it felt perfect...

... But that's the problem with the calm. The storm is there, lurking in the shadows, calculating the best moment to strike.

🖤

29th june, 1985

THE SUN'S UP ACROSS HAWKINS, IT'S a little after eight, and Ruby's getting herself out of bed. She knows the jazzercise timetable by heart, and decides that she's going to attend the ten o'clock one. That gives her enough time to see Steve, go home to shower, then head to the pool for one, where the sun will be at its highest, making perfect tanning conditions. Ruby picks out her best exercise clothes, choosing the dark-purple leggings that make her butt look good. She's always excited to see her boyfriend, but today, the sunshine and the excitement is mingling together, making everything feel perfect. On days like this, she loves her life.

Ruby heads out to the kitchen to get breakfast, dressed in her workout clothes. Eleven's eating waffles, and raises an eyebrow at Ruby's outfit.

"Good morning," says Ruby, smiling.

Eleven looks confused. "Where are you going?"

"To the mall!" she says. "I'm going to jazzercise."

"Didn't you have a Barbie with that outfit?" Her dad walks out of the bathroom, looking at Ruby's outfit. He's eating a piece of toast as he walks around, the crust hanging from his mouth. He's so gross.

Ruby shrugs, and starts pouring herself some cereal. "Probably."

Eleven chimes in, "Can I go to the mall?"

"Absolutely not," says Hopper.

Ruby frowns. "Why not?"

"Because there's a lot of people there, and you're still wanted by the government," says Hopper, sitting down at the table with him. He doesn't pour Ruby a coffee, which annoys her. She gets back up to get a cup. "I'm sorry, kid, but there's no chance."

"That's so boring," says Ruby. "If there's a problem, I can just make them not see her."

Hopper raises an eyebrow. "You can do that?"

Ruby remembers last night. She freezes for a second, and exchanges a glance with Eleven, who's realised how Ruby got away with Steve in her room.