1.4

"Potter!" Lily yelled, smacking the sleeping girl with a pillow, "Get up! Classes start today"

The brunette groaned, turning on her side and pulling the blanket over her head, "Five more minutes"

"You said that already," the redhead huffed throwing her arms up, "ten minutes ago."

There was a brief silence, that was swiftly broken by the brunette, "Ok... so two more minutes?"

———

Long story short, Violet did not get her two extra minutes. 

Lily dragged the younger girl out of bed and started throwing pieces of the uniform at her, lecturing about how important classes were the entire time.

Now, Violet was sandwiched between Lily and Mary with Marlene following behind, so Lily knew for certain, that the younger girl actually went to her classes.

"I don't get it," the brunette huffed, "Why must classes start so early? You don't even have time to eat anything!"

"Speak for yourself" the muffled voice of the blonde called from behind the group.

Lily grimaced turning around to see Marlene with a large muffin she swiped from the table, "Oh my- Marlene! Don't speak with your mouth full!" The blonde simply responded with an innocent smile as she took another bite of her muffin.

"Mouth full?" Violet shouted, turning to face her friend, "That's- what- how did you get that?"

Marlene smirked, "Well, I went to breakfast. That is how you tend to get breakfast foods."

Violet continued to look at the girl aghast, "Well, do you have any more?"

"Of course I do, who do you think I am?"

"Can I have one?"

"No."

The Potter girl threw her hands in the air, "Why not?"

"Because you choose to sleep, and I respect that, I really, I do. I love sleep, but I love food even more." Marlene smirked.

Violet pouted, "We're best friends, so you love me too, right?" the blonde nodded, "My mother always taught us to share with those we love-"

"I see where this is going-"

"So, be a dear and share your food with me. Your starving best friend." Violet spoke pulling the most convincing smile onto her face that she could.

Marlene looked upwards, rolling the idea around in her head before looking back to the girl, "You know what, when you say it that way..." the girl trailed off thoughtfully, "it's still a no." Marlene smirked.

Violet turned around facing Lily and Mary with her mouth open wide, flinging a hand across her chest, "Did you hear that? Marlene wants me to starve! Me, her best friend, this- this is preposterous!"

Lily rolled her eyes, looking forward again used to the famous 'Potter dramatics' by now. Marlene continued to stuff her face with her extra muffin, muttering out a 'damn straight' despite Lily's chastising about how rude speaking with a full mouth was. Mary simply giggled at the girl, trying to muffle her laughter in her sleeve.

Mary then reached into her robe pulling out a pastry she'd carefully wrapped up in a napkin and stowed away earlier that morning. This always seemed to happen to either Violet or James at the start of the year and Mary had learned to come prepared.

She reached over, tapping the girl on the shoulder and presenting the wrapped pastry with a sweet smile, "Here you go, Vi."

Violet's face lit up, going to take the item but stopping short, hand hovering above the treat, "Are you sure?" she whispered to the sweet girl. Mary nodded pushing the wrapped pastry at her once more.

This time Violet took the item and turned back to Marlene, shoving it up to her face. "See this? This is what a good friend does." The brunette turned back around, swinging an arm over Mary's shoulder in the process, "Thank you, Mary. You're officially my favorite now."

———

"Merlin, how early do you people come to class?" Violet whispered to herself. She'd made it to potions, early for once, but that didn't seem to matter.

The class looked as would when she usually arrived, about five or ten minutes late. Yet, she was early and there still only seemed to be three seats to choose from, none of which were exactly appealing.

Rosemary Williams, Hufflepuff. Violet didn't usually have a problem with the girl, but lately, she was going through a James Potter phase and she didn't exactly want to hear about how charming her brother was all class period.

Nina Rosier, Slytherin. Unfortunately, Nina had recently gotten on the wrong end of the Mauraders' pranks and a few of Violets... to say Nina still hadn't forgiven them was a severe understatement, and Violet didn't have the patience to deal with that this early in the morning.

Adam Mallory, Gryffindor. He had the same affliction as Rosemary Williams when it came to an obsession with a Potter, it just wasn't her brother this time.

Violet winced at her options, Adam was out of the question entirely since she also has to deal with him in the common room, and you can only reject a guy so much. So it was between Nina and Rosemary.

At least, that's what she thought until a quick flash of silver from the back of the room caught her eye.

There was a final option she hadn't noticed at the beginning, and she was definitely ok with that one.

In the far corner sat a boy in green Slytherin robes, a ring-clad hand covering his face as he looked at the wall, clearly trying to sink into the shadows so she couldn't see him.

Violet smiled and quickly made her way to the seat next to the boy, "You failed." she sang as she sunk down into the chair, despite the boy's groan.

But, Violet continued with her normal routine, rambling to the boy even though he rarely responded. "How are you this fine morning Reg-"

"Don't call me Reg"

"-how was breakfast, I couldn't make it, but I imagine it was just as magical as always." she reached into her pocket, pulling out the pastry Mary had given her and showing it to him, "I overslept, you see, and Marlene was being absolutely horrible about it and wouldn't share her food with me, but thank goodness Mary brought something otherwise I would've been forced to starve!"

"Marlene had that right idea." Regulus spoke up, "Maybe if you'd starve, you'd speak less."

Violet turned to him, smiling as she always did, "Ah, I know you don't mean that Reg." she opened the napkin, showing him the slightly squashed pastry, "You want some?"

"No." 

"You sure?"

Regulus sent a small glare to the girl, "Positive."

He could tell she was about to say something else, probably the beginning of another longwinded ramble, but Professor Slughorn finally found his way into the classroom. The Slytherin could only hope that maybe whatever the class period would hold, could keep the girl from talking to him anymore.