2.8

Regulus' eyes widened, every ounce of self-preservation and every bit of armor he had been carefully crafting and upholding for the past several years left his body in a rush as he stood there, watching the brunette fall.

"Violet!" he screamed, no care for the time or who would be sleeping at this hour.

All of his thoughts centered only on her as he dove to Evan's bedside, rushing to catch her before her head cracked against the hard wooden floor.

He barely made it, shoving his hand beneath her head, one side hitting the floor hard enough to bruise and the other cupping the back of her skull.

"Violet?" he rushed, panic overflowing and leaking into his voice no matter how hard he tried to keep it at bay. He'd pulled the girl into his arms as he sat on the floor, desperately trying to wake her. In fact, the curly-haired boy had completely forgotten that other people were in the room till a rustling was heard from the far side.

Barty rubbed his eyes, waking up from the ruckus Regulus had made as he ran to catch the girl. "What on Earth is going on?"

The brown-haired boy on the other side of the room went ignored by Regulus. The boy, chose instead, to look up at his blonde friend who was still perched up on the bed. A smirk was strewn across the elder boy's face as he glared down at the brunette wrapped in Regulus' arms.

"What did you do?" he shouted for what might've been the first time in his life.

The younger black had always been fairly agreeable and uncaring about what had happened around him—or at least that's what he made it seem like—but something about seeing the beautiful honey-eyed Potter fall helplessly to the ground seemed to break something inside him.

"Evan" he seethed eyes glaring into the boy, "What did you do?"

The blonde released a sound, somewhere between a scoff and a laugh, "I only did to her what she planned for me." the boy shrugged, moving to lay back down in his bed, "Why should I care anyway, she's just a blood traitor—"

"Don't call her that." the younger boy all but growled, continuing to glare at the boy who was now shuffling his sheets and fluffing his pillows, getting comfortable to go back to sleep as if there wasn't an unconscious girl on the floor.

"Why not? It's true isn't it?" Evan gestured to the girl, "I mean just look at her, she's a Potter, she's a Gryffindor, she's a blood traitor, her parents are aurors with her brother and his friends basically already training to be ones themselves!" he snarled, "Plus, only to make matters worse, her brother has been in love with that little mudblood for years." he spat out the word as if the word physically hurt him to say.

The room stayed silent for a moment, the two boys locked into a staring— no, glaring contest. The first to speak up was a voice from across the room.

"Reg," Barty called, sleep clouding his voice, "why is it such a big deal anyway? Evan is right you know..." he drawled, "she is on the other side of things."

"Why is it such a big deal?" he yelled, looking back and forth between the boys, "Why is it a big deal? She's unconscious on your floor! That's why it's a big deal!"

Evan didn't respond immediately. He seemed to zone out, gazing down at the brunette with a predatory stare, a sentence mumbled under his breath so softly, it couldn't be heard in the silent room.

"What was that?" Regulus spoke through his teeth, glare never relenting.

"I said" Evan began, eyes still focused on the girl in the boy's arms, "One less to deal with later." his eyes slowly dragged upwards, meeting dark angry grey ones, "You would do well to get over your sensitivity in these situations. This is nothing compared to what our duties will be in the future."