2.1

The summer before fifth year went by painstakingly slow for both the young Black and the young Potter. 

This was not unusual for the boy, who would spend the time alone in his room or stuck in tedious lessons he was forced to attend. 

Currently, the curly haired boy was where he always seemed to be on this day every single year. Laying on his bed, staring at the ceiling, with no company other than the dull hum found in complete silence, on his birthday. 

It was June 25th and everyone had yet to realize. 

It usually took until diner, where his father would wish him a short 'happy birthday, son' soon accompanied by a nod from his mother. 

That was it. No birthday cake, no presents, no parties. Ok- maybe that's a lie, every few years there was a party- but not the kind with confetti and party hats, the kind with hoards of pureblooded adults and conversation of potential marriage proposals between their kids. 

A sharp knock sounded at the door, followed by an old house elf poking his head through the wooden doorway, "Master Regulus?" the elf shrunk back, looking ashamed of his actions, "Apologies Master Regulus- Kreature did not mean to frighten-"

"No, It's quite alight, I just wasn't exactly expecting anyone." he took a deep breath, attempting to slow his heart rate, "Come in, what did you need me for?"

The elf took a tentative step in the room, as if his very presence would cause more discomfort. "Kreature had found some packages addressed to Master Regulus."

"Packages?"

"Yes sir, and letters too."

His eyebrows furrowed in deep confusion as he processed the words, "All my post comes to my window... I don't understand-"

"Kreature found it in the Masters Office. Kreature guesses Master Orion may be getting some of Master Regulus' mail before it reaches the window."

The grey eyed boy sat on his bed dumbfounded. Was that true? Did his father truly go out of his way to keep anything sent to him from arriving to its destination? It did make sense on why he hadn't received a response from a certain brunette in a peculiarly long amount of time... 

"Would Master Regulus like to have them? The names may provide clarity to Master Regulus."

He nodded, "Yes, Kreature that would be lovely." 

For or a moment, a bright white light appeared in the space by the end of the bed. Then, in it's place, three boxes and a small stack of letters. The elf looked up to the boy who only stared upon the small stack in shock, "Is Kreature dismissed?"

Regulus blinked quickly, stuttering slightly when readjusting his focus to the elf, "Um- Yes Kreature, you are dismissed. But before you leave-" the boy rushed, stopping the elf who was already half way out the door, "-Thank you. I- I know it was not an easy choice to sneak these from my fathers office. I know what it could mean if he figures out you were the one who brought these to me Kreature, Thank you, truly."

Kreature simply stood by the door, thinking over the words. He spoke up, speaking as if they were the most effortless words in the world, "Every choice is an easy choice if it concerns Master Regulus." He nodded to himself as if he said something extremely obvious, "Yes. It is all simple if it helps you sir." His chin dipped down, a simple farewell, before closing the door behind him and exiting into the hall. 

Once Regulus was left alone in the room once more, he leaned forward, scanning over the pile of mail. There was a small stack of letters bound by string and three packages of varying size, each accompanied by their own letters.

All the envelopes in the stack, except one -a request from Evan to get him out of lesson that took place a week prior- were from Violet. The first, and oldest of the letters, was a simple response to the last one he'd sent to her. Every letter after that one, began to become more and more panicked with the lack of response, pleading to know if he was safe. Regulus made a mental note to send a letter to her as soon as he opened the boxes, since there was also one from her. 

The packages seemed to be the only thing that wasn't held back too long, since all three, were birthday gifts. Sirius must have told the Potters, he was the only one who knew and cared about his younger brothers birthday. 

The largest of the boxes, was from Sirius. Inside, it held a leather jacket and a motorcycle helmet. 

Regulus shook his head when he saw it, 'seems more like a gift for himself' he thought to himself when opening the envelope

Dear Reggie,

I know you're looking at this gift right now like I'm insane, but I promise there's some reason to it. I'm saving up to get one of those muggle motorcycles and creating a spell to make it fly! Sounds amazing right? Once I get it all set up, I promise you Reggie, the very first thing I'm doing is coming straight up to your window to get you. Well- after the test drive at least, the last thing we need is it breaking down on the way. Happy Birthday, I love you and miss you more than you could ever know.

Your big brother, 

Sirius 

The medium sized box, was neither from Violet nor Sirius. Inside, was a Tupperware container holding a small yellow cake, a sticky glaze on the top with yellow and orange sugar sprinkles. 

Regulus,

Hello dear, this is Violet and James' mother, Euphemia. Sirius was telling us the other day that your birthday was coming up, so while the kids went out shopping I dug out an old recipe. It's a recipe my mother whipped up years ago, James and Violet adored it when they were younger, it's a butter beer cake. I hope you enjoy it dear! Have a wonderful Birthday, and if you ever need anything let me know, you will always have a place here. 

Kindly,

Euphemia Potter

The smallest box, was from her. It was a tiny jewelry box with a silver ring inside, similar size to the ones he wore almost every day. The design, was what was the most peculiar. He new he couldn't wear it openly, if his mother caught him wearing a ring of a lion... well he didn't wish to imagine her reaction. 

Instead, he took the string previously around the old stack of letters and transfigured it into a thin silver chain. Regulus slipping the ring onto it, before placing it around his neck, swiftly tucking it inside his collar. 

Reg,

Happy Birthday! I know this isn't exactly your style, but I enjoyed the meaning behind it. Truthfully, I was looking for a snake one, but the lion felt more fitting. You see yourself in the snake, the sliminess and deceitfulness of one, but I see you as the lion. The courageousness,  loyalty, and strength you don't give yourself credit for. There are wonderful qualities in the snake but you've conditioned yourself to ignore them, you haven't done this with the lion. I hope that this reminds you, that everyone doesn't perceive you the way you believe. For to me, you are just as much of a lion as I.

Always,

Violet

By the end of the note, his eyes were watery and his chest felt tight. It wasn't petty like he'd imagined. Originally he thought that the gift was a friendly jab at the Gryffindor's win over them last season, but no, it was just Violet being Violet.

Regulus rushed over to his desk, pulling out a piece of parchment, desperate to write her and everyone else back for their kindness. 

In this moment a small, unconscious part of him stored away a little idea. If all went well, Regulus might have a very similar gift for her, with a very different meaning attached. 

He just hadn't realized it quite yet.