1.11

It had only been a few months since everyone returned from break and Violet already found herself desperately behind on classwork. In her defense, it was the most vital part of quidditch season. 

The final games that would narrow down the houses and decide who would compete for the cup were approaching fast. In the past it was obvious the final game of the season would be the lions against the snakes, however this year both Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff seemed to be holding their own. Any of them could win, and any of them could be cut. 

So forgive her for not being super focused on class. She didn't need it anyways, Violet was going to be a world famous seeker, she didn't need to be fantastic at Herbology or Charms for that.

But for now, here she was, stuck sitting in the class in which she held the most distain. Defense Against the Dark Arts.

The class was absurd and completely useless. She understood the reason for having the subject, to learn how to defend yourself against the dark arts. It could come in handy in any situation when you find yourself at odds with someone who is trying to do you harm. Obviously if this is what took up the lesson time Violet Potter would pay attention, but unfortunately that was not the case. 

The spells were extreme and the information severely outdated. Especially when the wretched Professor held his own beliefs on half breeds and any 'creature', which consisted of any being that had the misfortune of not being a pureblood, that made her skin crawl.

No, Violet wasn't interested in the class where the Professor went on long tirades preaching the demonic nature of darker creatures. When he deliberately taught them ways to seek out and kill one of the boys she saw as brothers, ranting endlessly about the need for his slaughter. She circled random answers on assignments, barely turned in essays, and never listened. If she did, the brunette was certain she'd snap. 

Instead, Violet sat in the back of the class, scribbling quidditch play ideas in a notebook to hand off to James, chanting some of her favorite song lyrics in her mind, hoping to block out the professor.

She was overlooked back here. usually.

Today, she was interrupted by a looming shadow moving over her notebook. Slowly glancing up, she found the daunting figure of Professor Brisbane glaring down at her.

She froze, none of the trademark Potter snark flowed up to her head. She just sat there, visibly embarrassed as she looked in his eyes, trying to cover the crudely drawn quidditch pitch. 

"Yes professor?" she squeaked, a tremor in her voice no matter how hard she tried to suppress it.

The tall gangly man only sneered at the brunette, "I asked what spell would be used to stop a pixie, Miss Potter."

She floundered, opening and closing her mouth repeatedly hoping somehow the answer would appear on her lips. Violet shrunk under the man's gaze, barely whispering "I-I don't know, sir."

The man scoffed, "Of course you don't." his arm swung down, ripping the notebook from under her arm, "at least when Mr. Potter would choose to ignore my lessons, he would still know the information." he scowled,  "Your marks however, don't say the same." the fire held in his eyes grew as Brisbane glared at Violet, "See me after class."

The rest of the lesson seemed to pass  by in a blur. She could hear the muffled laughter and voices around her making fun of her. At least that was distracting enough that she didn't hear all of the ways to dissect an acromantula, that was just gross. 

The younger Potter didn't exactly enjoy being called 'a disgrace to James legacy' but that was at least a little better than being forced to listen to Professor Brisbane.

When the time came to change classes, Violet hopped up, hoping to discretely make her way out the door. She would've made it too, if Nina Rosier didn't catch her leaving.

"Professor Brisbane!" The annoying, high pitched, posh voice yelled out, "Didn't you need to speak to Violet?" Nina spoke, training her voice to seem polite dispite the smirk she threw at the Potter girl.

The Professor smiled at the girl, "Thank you for the reminder Miss Rosier, five points to Slytherin." Then the man turned, face twisting into a scowl as he turned to the door where the mentioned brunette was paralyzed, mid step and facing the halls. "Miss Potter" he called expectantly, watching as she reentered the room. 

Violet trudged forward, head dropped low and hanging loosely and eyes glued to the floor when approaching the desk.

"You must pay attention in my class-" he was cut off by her low whispers. "Don't mumble, it's not ladylike." he gritted his teeth

She rolled her eyes at the remark, typical pure blood protocol. 

The brunette raised her voice a little, speaking softly now. However, this volume still wasn't to Brisbane's liking. "Miss potter, do not mumble-"

She whipped her head up, looking the man in the eyes, a sudden wave of confidence running through her veins, "I said, maybe I'd listen to your lessons, if your information was worth listening to, Professor"

His glare on the girl hardened "Excuse me young lady,"

"Your class is useless." Violet cut him off, thank Godrick her nerve was returning, "You go on tangents of wrong and biased propaganda. Maybe I'd listen to your lecturing if it was worth listening to." she clenched her fists, "I'd listen if you taught, but instead doing that, you sound like you're preaching a case to the ministry."

"This is important, lifesaving information Miss Potter-"

"Knowing the ways to kill a werewolf and pull the wings from a Fae, is not lifesaving. If you somehow think that it is, you're the one who's delusional, not me."

Brisbane was shaking at this point. He hated the Potter girl. in fact, he hated both of the Potters, but today would not be the day he lost his teaching position because of the insufferable siblings. "Then you must study and learn the lessons on your own if you find my teaching isn't to your standers." Violet stayed still, trying not to move a muscle. "I don't care if you don't enjoy this class Miss Potter, but your marks must improve or I will find a way to pull you from the Gryffindor team myself."

She blanched, skin turning paler than Lucious' when he ate the bad pumpkin pasties in her second year. "What! No! You-you can't do that-"

"Watch me." he hissed, "You are dismissed Miss Potter. I expect the eight parchment essay on my desk by dusk tomorrow."

Her eyes grew wide, "Eight? I could've sworn the paper was only four, a-and I can't! We- we have practice tonight!"

"It was four." Brisbane smirked darkly, "it was due by the start of the lesson today, but you wouldn't have know that would you? too busy looking at this?" he gestured to the notebook he'd confiscated earlier. "two additional for being late, and another two for the attitude you've just shown me." a faux look of pity crossed his face, "And as for practice, I guess you'll have to cancel or find the time."

Violet opened her mouth, ready to protest, but the Professor beat her to it, "You are dismissed, Miss Potter. Have fun in the library tonight"

Ahhhhhh! We hit 1k reads!!