2.11

The next few months sped by blissfully. Regulus had returned to being Violet's tutor shortly after she woke, moving to tutor her in every subject for a short while to be sure she was all caught up and once again confident in all of her studies. They hadn't spoken of what had happened that night in the hospital wing, but it was clear something in their relationship had shifted.

Violet wasn't the only one sneaking glances anymore, as more often than not, the girl would find herself being the sole subject of the boy's startling grey gaze. They would find each other in the halls, slipping folded squares of parchment into each other's robes as they passed. The little library nook became a common place they would go to talk on most nights, even when they weren't studying.

A new development that Regulus noticed, was he found his heart beating erratically in his chest during quidditch matches. Not only the ones he played in, his racing heart a side effect from the adrenaline rushing through his veins, but the ones she played in as well. No matter how good he knew she was—hell she was probably a better flyer than he was—he always found himself nervous she would get hurt.

The holidays came and went, multiple letters carried between the two homes. In response to Violet's present that arrived on Christmas morning, the boy sent back a simple letter that detailed how he too had a present for the girl this year, but he would give it to her when they returned to school. It was the first Christmas where Regulus could say he truly experienced a happy holiday.

No label had been chosen for what Violet and Regulus had become, but that hardly mattered because the two teenagers were happy. They didn't need a label and they didn't need to define themselves quite yet, the fullness and warmth they created within each other's hearts was enough.

At least it had been for a while, but the Black boy had decided it was no longer quite what he wanted. While it would be dangerous and the two of them would have to keep it a secret so it wouldn't get back to his parents, he had decided he was willing to give it a try.

So he sat with nervous twitchy hands, his back pressed against the bark of a tree by the black lake the first evening back at Hogwarts. Regulus had sent a note to Violet a few moments ago that by now, should be floating through the air till it landed on her bed which would tell her where to come meet him.

It felt like his nerves were eating away at his insides, a million tiny bugs eating away at his heart, one simple question refusing to leave his mind, what if she says no?

He should've just done this through a letter, he rapidly begins to think raking his hands through his hair, that way if she does reject him he doesn't look so stupid for what he's about to do.

The boy is about to get up and leave, simply sending an additional note to her that something came up and he had to go, but then he saw her.

Approaching him from over the top of a lush green hill was Violet Potter illuminated by the setting golden sun that was slowly falling beneath the horizon behind her, a smile drawn across her face so bright it may have very well rivaled the sun. He froze, the panic evaporating as it always seemed to whenever she arrived.

She barreled down the hill once she caught sight of the boy, knocking him out of his daze as she slammed into his chest, arms wrapping around him and squeezing him tight, his own moving to encompass the girl. They exchanged brief hellos and how was your breaks even though they'd been in contact through it all when the time finally came.

"Anyways" she smiled, dimples peaking out from her freckled cheeks, rosy from the crisp winter air, "why'd you want to meet here?"

Regulus' palms began to become moist, nerves taking hold of him once more. "I-I just wanted to... to give you your Christmas present" he stuttered, a small smile drawing across his own lips when she began to jump around, clapping slightly at the mention of the mysterious Christmas gift he refused to owl her.

He dug into his pocket, finding the item before he began his explanation, "Um, do you remember what you got me for my birthday this year?"

Violet nodded, head tilting in confusion, "The lion ring... I don't quite see what that has to do with this though." she laughed softly.

"Well... I don't really have an entire explanation planned as you did for me," he spoke, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly, "but I do still have a reason." he trailed off, bringing a hand to the collar of his shirt to pull out the silver chain he always wore around his neck, grasping the lion dangling from it for some semblance of bravery- a habit he had slowly found himself doing since she gave it to him.

"Violet" Regulus spoke, dragging his eyes up from where they had previously been firmly staring at his own feet and connecting them with her warm brown gaze, "I have grown to care about you a lot. You stayed by my side through everything I have said and done to you even when you probably shouldn't have. I gave you so many reasons to hate me and yet you never wavered. No matter how many times I tried to avoid you and take your light, you would refuse and stand stronger despite it all." he pulled a shaking hand from his pocket, revealing a silver snake ring from his own collection, "What I'm trying to say is, I fancy you, Violet Potter" he spoke with a trembling voice, eyes never wavering from her own, "and if you'll have me, I'd love to stand by you as you have for me."

Violet's eyes welled up, tears gathering and spilling down her face as she rapidly began to nod, "I fancy you too, Regulus Black." she spoke, wide and giddy smiles spreading across both of their faces.

———

we're almost done with part 2! only a few fluffy chapters left before we move along to sixth year!

also i didn't edit this so apologies if it's absolute trash 💀