1.6

James came storming down the stairs, tumbling down into the common room, effectively startling all the students currently sitting in the large room. 

Previously, the boy had been anxiously pacing in his dorm, trying to figure out the perfect Christmas present for Lily. 'This was the year' he kept telling himself, this was the year Lily was going to say yes to him, and he needed the perfect gift. Almost an hour into his pacing, he remembered the ace he had carefully tucked up his sleeve. His little sister was friends with Lily and in the same dorm as the girl. 

That's how he found himself standing in the cold late October air, yelling up at his sister to come down from her broom. 

"Well why not Violet! You're being silly, this is urgent!" he pleaded.

The younger Potter looked down at him with a raised eyebrow, "You know what else is silly?" she called down, "Your idiot brother not drafting you for the team even though you are clearly-"

"-clearly better than Florence Maxwell" James finished with the girl, "yes, yes, I know you've said it a million times."

"Good," she called smiling sarcastically, "Nice to see its finally made its way through your thick skull." 

James rolled his eyes at her, "C'mon Vi, you know why I had to do that."

She tapped her chin, still looking down at her brother from the air, "No, I actually don't. It definitely wasnt because of her abilities," Violets voice quickly started raising, "because I caught the snitch more than her in tryouts and I completed all the tasks faster than her!"

The boy threw his head back in irritation, "Seniority, Violet!" he groaned, "She was already two years older than me"  James began throwing his arms around for emphasis, "and not to mention she was seeker the year before as well! It would look bad for me, a fifth year captain to start pulling all the older players for all my friends and my sister!"

Violet scoffed, "You put Sirius on the team."

"One of the beaters graduated." James deadpanned. The siblings sat in silence staring at each other until James dropped his head, "Fine, look. would you just come down and help me? I promise you a spot this year." 

Violet looked him up and down skeptically, arms crossed over her chest. "Would it help if I told you that Sirius, Marlene, and yourself are already on my official list? a week before tryouts even begin?"

She mulled it over in her head, twisting her face in a way to show she was seriously thinking it over. It wouldn't be new for James to say something like that, and still choose someone else as the seeker. Violet wasn't trying to be petty over it, she just really wanted to play her favorite sport with her brother and their friends before they all graduated, leaving her behind.

"If I showed you the official list?" James corrected, cutting the silence and hoping that would do the trick.

Violet hummed, throwing her gloves to the ground, "That'll do." she stated lowering to the ground. Once her feet hit the grass, she propped up her broom, leaning against it and looking at her older brother, "What can I do for ya' James?"

He smiled brightly, "I need your help."

The girl simply blinked at him, "Ok... what do you need my help with?"