2.7

Three hours.

That's how long Sirius kept Violet hostage in the boy's dorm with 'potions help'.

The common room was quiet when she passed the outlook on the stairs, only a few stragglers left behind. Their noses were buried deep in their books, nestled under a quilt, light from the fire bathing the room in a warm glow.

She took note of them as she passed by, but they seemed distracted enough that it wouldn't be hard to sneak past them later.

By the time she made it back to her room, the rest of the girls had been asleep for a while. It was obvious from the way Marlene was hanging off the bed, hair a mess, and a small amount of drool escaping her lips.

The brunette had to be even more careful as she tiptoed over to the drawer and pulled out her home-brewed concoction since the girls were in the room.

She wouldn't have to worry about Marlene waking up. Even if she did, knowing the blonde, she would probably tag along with no issue. It was her redheaded friend she was worried about.

Lily had always been a light sleeper and a goody-two-shoes, there was no doubt in Violet's mind that if she woke up she'd not only be in for a scolding from her, but since Lily was now dating her brother, she'd have to get scolded twice.

So, she was careful as she slowly moved about the room on the tips of her toes. Gathering her things slowly to be sure she was as silent as she could manage.

———

The plan was supposed to go as follows:

1. Violet was going to sneak into the Slytherin room undetected using James's invisibility cloak.

2. After she made her way inside, she was going to find the rooms that Evan, Barty, and Regulus were in... and maybe Nina Rosier if she had enough potion left.

3. It was imperative that the boys were asleep before her plan. While Violet tended to be overconfident in most things, the girl wasn't stupid. She doubted she had the ability to slip the seventh years a potion if they were fully conscious.

Yes, it was a bit unfair, and she'd probably be ashamed of the whole affair by the time it was over... but that was future Violet's problem.

The potion in question was a paralytic she managed to create all on her own. Unlike others on the market, it rendered you fully aware of everything that was going on. You could see and hear, but you were unable to react. Trapped inside your mind, unable to experience anything and forced to watch everything.

Perfect, for the next step.

4. Reanimate every stupid snake decoration they had plastered on the walls of the corny little dorm rooms.

Originally, that was all the plan was. Reanimating the snakes, watching if they thought the snakes were really as wonderful if they were actually before their faces.

Then she realized that was along the lines of the 'silly little pranks' they were expecting.

So she decided she'd get a little meaner instead.

Yes, it was all a bit cruel, but nothing could really harm them... so it wasn't that bad.

If she hit them hard and fast enough, maybe they wouldn't retaliate this time, knowing that now, Violet Potter wasn't the childish little girl they thought she was.

They wanted to play dirty? Fine. She can play dirty too.

5. Then she planned to stop it all, say something witty, and toss her hair behind her as she strutted out of the room, every bit the 'petty mean girl' portrayed in the muggle films she watched with Lily.

But of course, not everything can go to plan.

The plan was trashed the second she left the boy's dorm and Sirius Black whipped out the Map to watch the girl as she returned to her dorm. 

He didn't know what the girl had planned, but he now realized what his little brother meant. She was going to do something stupid. He knew it from the very second he caught her gaze in her dorm room, the determination behind her eyes was a very familiar one to the older Black boy. 

It was the same spark that lead him to one of the biggest mistakes of his life, the spark that caused him to plan, and execute, the very prank that cut him off from his best friends for almost an entire semester.

No matter what happened, he knew it wouldn't be worth the consequence she'd yet to acknowledge.

So, he contacted his brother giving him a warning, watching Violet's name make its way down the hall to the Slytherin common room.

———

Violet made it to step three before she realized the derailment of the plan. 

She made it into the Slytherin common room undetected, and she was standing in the two-person dorm of Evan and Barty. More specifically, she was standing over Evan Rosier, about to give him one of the vials when the door flew open.

Violet whipped her head so fast, brown locks of hair swung around her, briefly covering her face. The arm holding her wand sprung out before her in a defensive position, ready to defend herself against whoever just had entered the room. Her brown eyes wide as they could be, staring at the boy stood in the doorway, Regulus Black.

One of his hands was still holding onto the door handle and the other was held out in surrender before him, "Come on, Potter-"

"What are you doing?" she hissed, "I'm busy Regulus. Go away."

He flinched at his full name coming out of her mouth. No nickname and no care in her voice. But  that made sense in this situation, right? It was hardly friendly, which became obvious from her vice-like grip on a small potion bottle and her wand. Her body language the most hostile he's ever seen from the girl.

The lack of a nickname was hardly the biggest issue at the moment.

As the two bickered in hushed voices, they failed to notice the movements of the Rosier boy, slowly waking from the noise in the room.

Lily wasn't the only light sleeper Violet was going to encounter that night, and she was severely underprepared for this one.

Unlike with the redhead, the boy wasn't going to simply scold her.

He woke right as Violet turned back to him, tired of the Black brothers interfering with her plan and ready to complete it whether Regulus was in the doorway or not.

The blonde's eyes snapped open, seeing the brunette loom above him. 

In a rush, he grabbed the girl's wrist, wrenching it backward, pouring the vial into the mouth of the perpetrator whose jaw had slackened in shock since his blue eyes snapped open.

It was as if Violet fell backward in slow motion, watching as the world flipped upside down and the ground disappeared from beneath her feet. 

———

here we go~ this is where things start to get interesting