1.12

Before we begin, I just wanted to give a quick shout out to etherealjoyy

Your comments, votes, and support of this story made me want to hurry up and publish a new chapter lol. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! <3

___

Regulus stayed pacing outside the DADA room while Violet was called back to the desk. He was waiting for the girl to come out, planning to accidentally bump into her, forcing himself to take the initiative he promised himself he would. 

Or, more accurately, he'd try again. The first try ended horribly as he embarrassed himself on the Hogwarts Express. Hopefully, this time wouldn't be a repeat of that.

___

Marlene had stepped out of the compartment momentarily, mentioning something about going to find the trolley.

Without much thought, Regulus walked into the compartment which held no one other than Violet. The girl was focused, eyes trained down on the bright pink spot adorning her broom handle, trying her best to buff it out. 

The confidence he spent gathering on the other side of the door flew away as soon as he saw her. He never understood why the Potter girl always seemed to make his shields evaporate, forcing him to bare his true self in front of her.

The brunette's eyes didn't move, they stayed on the broom as she continued to scrub, "Marlene, it's not coming out." she grumbled, "'don't know how pouring a disgusting, pink goo on someone screams 'love you sis!' but apparently it makes sense to my idiot broth-" she stopped herself when she glanced up, seeing the grey eyed boy, "Oh, um... hi Regulus" she spoke confused, tilting her head adorably to her shoulder, "Can I help you?"

He cringed at the sound of his full name. He'd gotten used to 'Reg' or 'Reggie' from her, that's what he gets for being so harsh. He remained still for a few moments, causing Violet to call his name once more. 

"Hm? Oh... yeah, I-no I just wanted to say something." Regulus squeezed his eyes shut at his stuttering, wishing the floor would open beneath him and swallow him hole. Why was he so awkward? Why was he stuttering? This never happened when talking to Barty or Evan, so why did she always make things so difficult?

He was scared to open his eyes. Whenever he stuttered in front of his mother, harsh words and yelling always followed soon after. Demanding him to be a stronger man because only the weak would stutter when speaking.

When he finally found the courage to open them-- almost convinced his mother's face would greet him-- the brunette was still sat there instead. A patient smile on her face as she watched him, urging the boy to continue with sunshine sparkling in her smiling eyes.

"I get them." he blurted, caught in her warm gaze. He barely noted how her eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion, "I-I do get them, and I do open them."

They sat in silence for a moment, it so much different than the silence that encompassed Regulus' world. It wasn't full of tense anger and electric emotion but it was warm, soft, and kind. It was comfortable, and he wasn't used to comfortable.

"Every Christmas, I open them." he whispered still refusing to break eye contact, "Thank you." 

Before Violet could find the words to respond, the vulnerability of the moment came crashing down on Regulus' shoulders. His Eyes widened and back straightened as he made his escape, running from the small compartment he briefly shared with the only ray of sunshine that graced his world.