Chapter 4 - She Will Be Loved

When we got placed on the stage in chairs, the sopranos (what I am) got placed next to the tenors (what Luke is). Of course, I got stuck at the end of the soprano section, closest to the tenors, and Luke got put at the end of the tenor section, closest to the sopranos, and right beside me.

I knew that I was going to have to deal with his mean attitude the rest of the week, but if he ruins it for me, I will ruin him. I've waited all year for this, and I can't mess anything up.

Also, I don't want him to make me so nervous that I mess up my solo. If I do and it's because of him, I will be so annoyed with him.

Mr. Murphy started speaking to everyone, telling us what we would be doing first. Luke began to whisper something to me. It was too quiet that I couldn't tell what he was saying, but it was loud enough to tell that he was saying something. I got annoyed since I couldn't focus on Mr. Murphy.

"Stop," I told Luke. I thought I was being quiet, but it was louder than I thought.

"Addie.. Would you like to share your conversation? Or can I keep going on with my directions?" Mr. Murphy called me out.

"Sorry. You may go on. I promise you it won't happen again," I smiled sweetly.

"Okay, so I know you've all been working hard on your songs with your directors. Now, I'd like you to get out your music for 'She Will Be Loved'." Mr. Murphy directed. This was my favorite song.

"This is a great song," Luke whispered. I nodded, not wanting to talk and get in trouble again. I mean, if I do get in trouble again, Mr. Murphy still won't do anything. He's the kind of teacher who threatens but doesn't go through with it.

I got the music out from my folder, even though I had the words memorized. This is the one I have a solo in. Luke told me that he had a solo in this one too. This song had lots of solos in it. Everyone was singing the chorus in it, but most of the rest was solos.

"Could I have all of the people with solos line up at the side of the stage according to your solo and where it is in the song?" Mr. Murphy directed.

Luke and I both got up, going to the side of the stage. There were six people including Luke and me.

A girl went up to the microphone before the music started since she was the first solo. After the music started playing, she sang, "Beauty queen of only eighteen. She had some trouble with herself."

"He was always there to help her. She always belonged to someone else," another girl sang.

It was now my turn, so I got up to the microphone quickly and sang, "I drove for miles and miles and wound up at you door. I've had you so many times but somehow I want more." (A/N: I picture her sounding like Aleisha McDonald and looking like Aleisha)

The chorus sang, "I don't mind spending every day out on your corner in the pouring rain. Look for the girl with the broken smile. Ask her if she wants to stay awhile. And she will be loved. And she will be loved."

"Tap on my window, knock on my door I want to make you feel beautiful," a boy sang.

"I know I tend to get so insecure. It doesn't matter anymore" another boy sang into the microphone.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies, it's compromise that moves us along, yeah. My heart is full and my door's always open. You come anytime you want, yeah," That was Luke's solo, and he was amazing. I didn't know what to expect.

The chorus once again sang, "I don't mind spending every day out on your corner in the pouring rain. Look for the girl with the broken smile. Ask her if she wants to stay awhile. And she will be loved. And she will be loved."

The girls sang, "please don't try so hard to say goodbye, please don't try so hard to say goodbye.." while the boys sang, "and she will be loved. And she will be loved. And she will be loved. And she will be loved."

It sounded amazing with everyone from the dozens of different schools and hundreds of students here.

Luke and I were now seated back in our seats, and I told him, "your solo was amazing."

"Thanks.. Yours was too," he looked at me for a split second then focused back on Mr. Murphy. He gave me a compliment, on my singing, though. Either way, it was an improvement to how he's been acting this morning, aside from when we met.