Chapter 10 - Stopped

Thursday was about the same as Wednesday. I came close to asking Addie out several times but I never did. Today, I needed to ask her out. It was also her birthday. I hope she'll be happy that I asked her out. I really want this to be a birthday that she'll look back on and love the fact that I asked her out today. I don't want her to look back on today thinking, "oh, that's the birthday when that weirdo asked me out. He thought he had a chance!"

All of those things were going through my mind as I was waiting for the buses to come. I saw Oakville Public School printed on the side of a bus and got ready.

When Addie walked in, she walked straight into the auditorium. I looked in and she went back out the other doors after setting her stuff down. She walked off to the bathroom, so I stood outside the bathroom in the hallway leading to the bathroom and waited.

*Addison's POV*

On Friday morning, my parents, Hudson, and Bella woke me up, singing "Happy Birthday". I got up, and they all hugged me, telling me happy sixteenth birthday. Mum said to me, " I can't believe my baby is sixteen! Happy Sweet Sixteen, Addie.." 

She handed me a box, and of course, I opened it. Inside was keys. I looked up at my parents and they were smiling at me. I almost screamed. They had got me a car! I ran down the stairs, still in my pajamas, and ran outside to see my new car. 

Mum was running after me. She saw me in it and said, "Addie, you still can't drive it until you get your license."

"I know.." I frowned. I wanted to drive it so bad. 

"I can drive it when one of you are with me. I do have my permit," I pointed out.

"Yeah. But you need to get ready. You still have the festival. Today is the concert!" Mum was excited.

"Okay. I can't wait!" I said, getting out of the car. I walked over to mum and whispered, "thank you so much. I love it," while hugging her.

"You're welcome sweetie. I love you."

"I love you too" I said, then walked across the front yard to the door. 

I went in and began to get ready for today. I needed to take concert clothes to change into today. I was so excited about many things. I was excited because of my new car, the concert being today, and seeing Luke again. I hope I'll be able to see him more after the festival is over. I don't want to just erase him completely from my life after this. 

I put clothes for the concert in my bag and took a shower. I got dressed after taking a shower. What's different about doing all of this today than the other days? I was thinking about Luke the whole time. 

I ate breakfast that my mum made for me, and I was daydreaming, once again about Luke. Mum noticed me spacing out.

"What's wrong, sweetheart? Is everything okay?" She asked.

"Nothing's wrong. Everything is fine," I assured her.

"You're not thinking about that Luke kid again, are you?" 

"Actually, yes."

"Sweetie.."

"Mum, he's been a lot nicer the past few days. I like him, and i think he likes me, but I don't want to not be able t see him after the festival is over. We're good friends since we've spent the whole week together, and I don't want to not be friends anymore. It's just, well, I can't explain it. He's just become a big part of my life in the past week. I don't want to change that. He makes me happy. And I know we're not officially dating, but Michael tells me that Luke is going to ask me out."

"Addie, I just don't want him to hurt you."

"He won't, mum. I talked to him on Wednesday and he said he was really sorry if he came off like a jerk, but that was just his way of flirting with me."

"Oh. Well, Addie, other than the first day, I think he is a nice guy, a good guy for you."

"Really mum?"

"I guess, sweetie. After what you just said about him,flirting with you and not trying to be mean"

"I love you, mum."

"I love you too sweetheart. I can't wait to meet Luke tonight also."

"Yeah" I smiled at her, grabbing my things and heading outside before the bus got here.

———

A little over halfway to the festival on the last day, I realized I had to go to the bathroom. I had really wished there was a bathroom on the bus. 

Luckily, it didn't take much longer to get to the festival. The first thing I did was put my things in the auditorium, then rushed off to the bathroom. This morning was different. I hadn't seen Luke. I usually saw him very morning when I walked in.

After going to the bathroom, I washed my hands. I walked out of the bathroom and was about to walk down the long, narrow hallway leading to the main hallway. I was stopped by someone.