Chapter 7 - Chasing

The rest of the day, Addie was ignoring me. She wouldn't look at me when I was talking to her, even though I knew she heard me. 

I tried to sit by her at lunch, but she got up and moved away from where she was sitting. I didn't care, so I just stayed there. 

Now, we were getting ready to go home and she finally came up to me and talked to me for the first time today after telling me to stay away this morning.

"Hey, uh, I'll see you tomorrow," she half-smiled at me.

"Okay.. See you tomorrow," I said back.

She left and went with her school to get in their bus. I felt like I had let her down. I wanted to talk to her to tell her I was sorry, but she wouldn't listen. I felt so bad about what happened yesterday. I thought about that the whole bus ride home.

———

Later that night at supper, I was telling my parents about Addie. I left the part about her hating me until last.

"So, yesterday at the chorus festival I met this one girl that goes to Oakville, and she is really nice, really pretty, and a really good singer. Her name is Addie Summers, and she's almost sixteen. Her birthday is on Friday, the day of the concert. I've been talking to her, and she is amazing.. I don't know how else to describe her," I looked at them, rambling on about Addie.

"I'd love to meet her," mum smiled.

"Yeah, I would too," my dad added.

"Well, she, uh, kinda thinks I'm an asshole right now.." I told them.

"Why? What did you do?" Mum looked at me sternly.

"Yesterday, I just guess I annoyed her a little bit, but I don't know. That's, like, my way of flirting with her, I guess.." I explained.

"How do you flirt by being mean to somebody and by making them think you're an asshole?" dad asked.

"I don't know. I think it worked though.." I bit my lip.

"What do you mean? You wanted her to think you're an ass?" Mum asked.

"No.. She seems to like me, I can't explain it.."

"Oh, okay.." Mum got up from the table after finishing her last bite. I got up, put my plate in the dishwasher and went upstairs to call Michael.

I got onto Skype on my computer and clicked on Michael's name. His face came up a few seconds later, and he asked, "hey.. What's going on, Luke?"

"Um, not much. I was actually just thinking about Addie. I need to ask you something," I told him.

"Okay. What is it?"

"Did you tell her about me being mean, and that's my way of flirting?"

"Uh, yeah, why?"

"I don't know. She seems to know that I'm flirting with her, not being mean on purpose."

"How do you know that?"

"Well, at lunch today, I went to sit down next to her, then she moved away."

"And?"

"Once she sat down somewhere else, she looked back at me and smirked at me."

"Oh.. I think she likes you, mate."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"I hope so. I like her too. I mean, I really really like her.." I paused, "it also seems like she's ignoring me to try to get me to chase her even more."

"Maybe."

"If that's what she wants, I'll chase her. Well, I already am.." I laughed.

"Luke, just stop being a wimp and ask her out tomorrow."

"I'll think about it.."

"Stop saying that and do it!"

"I might."

"Luke-" Michael said before I ended the call. He tried to call me back, but I ended up shutting my computer down so he couldn't anymore. I just wanted to think about Addie and tomorrow..