Chapter 27

~Mishika's POV~

"I am sorry sir, but Dr Mishika is in the surgery right now. I can't get her on the phone." My assistant nurse Elena spoke on the intercom present in my office.

I removed my gloves and begun to wash my hands. "Sir...I...I didn't mean to disappoint you." She stuttered.
Why would someone be so disappointed at her? She kept the phone attached to her ear silently and pressed her knuckles down on the table.

"Elena, who is it?" I whispered.
"Your...your boyfriend,Michael." Her voice quivered. Oh boy,he wasn't disappointed, he was fucking furious.
I rushed to the other side and took the phone from her,
"Never ever keep his calls from me if you want both of us happy and safe." I smiled and her tension released and she left the room.

"Why are you not answering your cellphone?" He grumbled.
"Wow,hello to you too. I was in the OT for three hours. Phones aren't allowed in yet." I said.

"That nurse of yours is stupid."
"She is not stupid and it wouldn't kill you to be nice to people."

"Not to people who keep me away from you." His sexy,strident voice returned making the butterflies burst open I my chest. This was so like him- piss me off with his behavior and then say something so sweet.

"My parents invited us to dinner tonight." He said.
"Your parents? How long have you known that?" Impressions were very important to me specially if they are going to be your family. This was a very big deal for me.

"A week?"
"And you thought of telling this to me now? Michael that is so thoughtless."

"They love you already. Everyone does."
Except you. He said it so carelessly but it didn't do any good to my nerves.

"Okay." I breathed and hung up.

I went 1 hour before the dinner and changed into hot pink pantsuit with blazer. Michael and I drove separately while Nick,Amelia, Mason & Jason took another car.

His parents lived in another mansion that was about an hour drive, closer to the coast. It was as big as Michael's except it had lesser number of wings.
I stepped down the car and stared at the door, my nerves were all jittery and my breaths all abnormal.

He slipped his cool hands in mine and whispered, "I don't care if someone doesn't like you, Mi Vida." whiskey and sin in his voice.

"I know you don't. But doesn't it feel good to see your family bond with someone you l...." I slapped myself internally. Why? Why does this word tend to slip out so easily between us?

"With someone you like?" I erased my hesitation.
"Yes." That was the only answer I got.

We walked towards the giant double doors and a strong Spanish voice came along, "podrían ser más lentos? monton de caracoles dios mio." (Could you guys be any slower? Bunch of snails,my god)

"Your mom is Latina?"
"Yes." He was practically dragging me along the marble halls because my fear increased tenfolds. Latinas are the most fiercest woman to exist. Natalie used to watch these translated Spanish shows and that's how I know about them.

We reached the living room and it was more crowded than I had expected. Great! "Madre." Michael announced.

Suddenly all the eyes in the room turned to us and a wheatish complexion woman walked to us. She was beyond beautiful and her little wrinkles and fine lines just enhanced her delicate features. She was an inch shorter than me and her eyes glued to my face as she walked to us.

"Ohhh hello mi niña." She cooed gently and brushed my cheek like I was some planet in the galaxy.
"Mish, my mother,Esmeralda and my dad, Mateo." Michael said. A man looking no different than Michael walked up and stood near his wife and smiled. Now I see where Michael got all that genes from.

"Amore, you will scare her away now." He whispered in Esme's ear.
"Oh please,stop being so bossy like your son. Let me adore her for a few minutes before Michael locks her up again." She gave a grin.

"Mom."
"You don't scare me,hijo." This was good,watching another person challenge his authority and him probably squirming helplessly.

"Drop her hand, hijo. I am going to steal her for a few minutes." I hadn't even realized he was still holding them but he gave me a tight squeeze before releasing them. He joined the other men in the room in a conversation and I followed Esme to the dining area.

"You are so beautiful." She whispered as her fixed the flowers on the table.

"You can put the stars to shame,Esme." I said in a matter of factly way.

"Do you have any siblings, stellina?"

"Yes. I have a twin brother."
"Ouu brothers, they are the dangerous ones. Had a few of them and it wasn't easy growing up with them." She laughed.

"Yes, always felt like I have a bodyguard." I smiled.
"All brothers are like that. Michael and Mason would get into a fight daily for E..." She stopped as tears swelled her eyes. It was never easy to lose your child, specially to some psychotic people out for blood.

"I am sorry,Esme. I wish I could take away some of your pain." I pleaded and went closer to her.
"These kind of pains are stubborn, honey. They never leave." She sniffed and gave a stir to the simmering sauce on the pot.

"But I have one more daughter now and I know she would never leave." She smiled and gave me a hug.
I tightened my grip around her and said, "Yes, she would never." Esme was amazing. I was felt so stupid for being so nervous to meet a kind soul like her.

"I am joining that" Mason said and joined in,squeezing us in.

The dinner went quiet well. Mateo was busy in conversation with the men I didn't really know and I was squeezed in between Michael and Mason and to say that,it was a huge mistake.

Mason kept teasing Michael under the table and Michael tried to kick him. He kicked him so hard that the table began to shake and the dishes rattled.
"Stop it." I warned. But they wouldn't.

After dinner,Michael joined the men again for some discussion and I waited for him so we could leave.
A gruff voice caught me off guard,
" niña, would you like to talk a walk with me?" Mateo offered his hand and I took them. This was some serious conversation.

We walked out of the house towards the open lawn. The well-kempt grass brushed against my heels.
"How are things with Michael?"

"Good." I nodded.
"I am his father,niña. You know I have a rough idea about everything."

"Difficult."
"Mancini men are tough.They are alot to handle, very intense. They feel like they have this need to protect women in their family. The expect obedience and compliance from women." He said. Where was he going with all this?

"When I married Esme, I was the same way with her. I wouldn't even let her step out of the house. And after she got pregnant, I hardly ever let her free in the house."

"I am sorry,Mr Mancini. I don't think I can be the woman you want me to be. I don't think I need to obey Michael, I think I should to whatever I want and he should make peace with it." I said.

"No, no,no. I am not proud of what I did to Esme. I realised this almost 2 decades later that Esme never needed permission, she just needed my support. Unfortunately,Michael grew around the same environment. So, all I want to say is you shouldn't bow down before him or let him run over you. Stand for your wishes and if he doesn't like it,that would be his problem." He smiled and the little white hair in his moustache twitched.

"Woww... I am so shocked right now that you...you know suggest something like this." I bit my nails and my eyes lingered at my own feet. I was shook honestly,I thought he would threaten me to respect his son or something but it was quite the opposite.

"Well,people can surprise you." He laughed. We walked back towards the house.
"Esme says I am getting old and sick and I should take pills. Do you think I need pills?" He said amusingly.
"No,I think you might just outlive your son's with all that." I joked. His family was truly amazing.