Chapter Thirty - Confrontation

•LEILA•

I was in shock and disbelief.

I didn't want to believe what I had just heard.

I might not know what could happen with Angelica since she went to Giovanni willingly, but I once went to Giovanni willingly and married him, and look where it got me.

I cannot be certain that he wouldn't harm her, especially when she's his enemy's daughter.

He could also threaten to hurt her in exchange for me.

Everything was possible.

"Don't say that Mateo, please," Callie cried as she held Mateo's arm weakly. She was so sad and dejected. I couldn't even imagine what was she going through. Not only she had lost her daughter, but also got betrayed by her.

To Mateo, loyalty is everything, especially loyalty to the mafia. To Callie, loyalty to the family was everything.

"Why don't you want to do anything? I am telling you, she will get hurt!" I asked Mateo, looking directly at him.

I didn't care about Angelica, but what I cared about was the baby inside her and the fact that another woman was going to live what I had lived.

I didn't want something like that to happen again, even if it was Angelica, the woman who handed me to my ex-husband.

Mateo didn't say anything. He was deep in thought, trying so hard to find an answer to my question. It was as if he had given up on his daughter.

"What did he do to you?" Callie whisper-asked as she looked sorrowfully at me.

I didn't want to tell her because her heart wouldn't take it. I didn't want her to be in constant fear of finding her daughter dead one day. I didn't want her to lose sleep, thinking of her daughter and what might have happened to her.

But I had no choice. Mateo had to understand that it was now or never.

"What's the worst pain you have ever felt?" I asked Callie.

She looked at me with teary eyes.

"Losing Anna..." Was her response.

Anna...

I wonder if Lorenzo was right about Anna being me.

Could it be?

"I lost my unborn baby too because of him," my voice cracked.

They looked at me with a painful expression as I started undressing my top.

They had to see.

Mateo had to see.

I dropped my top on the ground and turned around to show them my back. My back had multiple whipping scars from the constant beatings I received. Giovanni never pitied me and continued whipping my back until I escaped. It was one of his sick hobbies that he no doubt still exercises.

I heard gasps from behind me. I closed my eyes, trying my best to stop the tears from falling. I never wanted to show anyone my scars, especially Demetrio. But after we got together, he never made me feel ugly or insecure about them.

He was an angel.

I put my top back and turned around to face them all. "That is what he will do to Angelica if she stayed there. Maybe he won't do it, especially when he's not obsessed with her like he did with me, but she will get hurt eventually for being your daughter."

"There's only one possibility that he will not do anything to her," I added, grabbing their attention.

"And what is that?" Lorenzo asked.