Chapter Two - Who The Fuck Are You?

*LEILA*

The next morning, I went to the Gonzalez Enterprise. I knew that there was a high chance I wouldn't even meet with any member of the family, but I had to try. After all, that was my only hope.

I stepped out of the taxi after I told him to wait for me. I made sure to pay him extra, since everything could be solved with money here, apparently.

I strode towards the entrance, as my eyes gazed at the building. Approximately, 45 floors stood in front of me, as the glass windows adorned the whole building. It looked intimidating, as if it was going to fall forward.

I walked into the building and the first thing I saw was a front desk with a man behind it. I strolled its way and stood in front of him, "Hello, I would like to know which floor is the Gonzalez enterprise?" I asked, getting him attention immediately.

"Hello, ma'am. The Gonzalez enterprise is from floor 35 till 43. Would you like a visiting pass?"

"Yes, please," I replied.

"May I have your ID?" He asked, making me sigh in defeat.

"I am actually new to the country...I came from Italy. Would my Italian ID be enough?"

"Yes, that will do," he replied, nodding.

I gave him the ID and he gave me the visiting card. I took it from him and turned around and made my way to the elevators. I got in and pressed the 35th floor.

Many people were in the elevator with me, which made me feel uncomfortable because of my paranoia. I kept my gaze downward, too afraid to look into someone's eyes.

When the elevator reached the 35th floor, it was only me and two ladies. We three stepped out on the same floor. The girls seemed to be new as well because I overheard them talking about an interview that they had. I followed them to the receptionist and they were the first to be served.

Once they finished, I stepped forward to speak with the lady behind the desk. She had beautiful red hair that descended down in curls underneath her shoulders. Her piercing brown eyes met mine and I saw nothing but kindness behind them. She looked to be in her late 30's and I noticed a ring on her finger, meaning she's either a fiance or a husband.

"Hello, how may I help you?" She asked, gently.

"Hi, I would like to meet with Lorenzo or Demetrio Gonzalez," I said, making her raise one brow in amusement.

"Are you here for the interview or do you have an appointment?"

"No, I am not here for any interview. I also don't have an appointment, but I really need to meet with one of them."

"I am sorry, but I cannot let you in without an appointment," she replied.

"Could you at least ask, please?" I pleaded because I was so desperate.

"Wait here."

She stood up and walked towards one of the doors and knocked before going in. Not even a minute later, she came back out.

"I am sorry, Mr. Gonzalez did not agree to meet with someone he doesn't know."

I have fucking risked everything to come here and know he's afraid to meet with someone he doesn't know? Fuck this.

"It's okay. Thank you so much," I said, giving her a kind smile.

I knew I had to do this the mafia way. The only way I could think of was to follow Lorenzo to his house, which is why I turned to her again and asked, "Do you know when he finishes work?"

She gave me a suspicious look before saying, "No, sorry." She clearly didn't want to disclose that information.

I nodded before giving her my back and leaving.

The only way for me to know his address was to wait near the company in the taxi, while I paid him for every minute. It's a good thing that Alberto gave me enough money to live for a year without working, albeit I am wasting them on stupid things like that, but it was still not for nothing. This would get me safety and I would have done anything to get it.

* * *

By 7:30, I spotted Lorenzo Gonzalez in a black jeep, coming out of the parking lot. If Alberto hadn't shown me a picture of Lorenzo, I wouldn't have recognized him.

I told the taxi driver to follow him and he agreed on one condition that I'd give him more money. I wanted so badly to punch him in the face, but I refrained and agreed to his offer.

We were on the road for about 30 minutes when Lorenzo's car finally stopped beside a big three-story mansion. It was beautiful, even more beautiful than the house I stayed in with Giovanni.

I told the taxi to stop a little bit away from the house and paid him. I left the car, with the handbag still in my hand, and slowly walked towards the mansion. I spotted four bodyguards by the entrance of the gate and I was sure that there were more inside. The only way I could get in was either by talking directly to the guards, which was the riskier option, or by sneaking in, which I still didn't know how.

I sighed heavily and marched towards the gates after I decided to go with the safer option, but before I could even reach, a black cloth covered my vision and the next thing I felt was a hit on my head.

* * *

When I woke up, I was tied into a chair. My head was pounding and my vision was blurry. I could smell the metallic smell of blood, probably coming down from my nose because I felt something watery running down, landing on my upper lip.

A loud noise echoed through the room that I'm in and when I looked up, I could sense the door opening and a figure coming in. My vision was a little blurry, but I could see much better than when I first opened my eyes.

The man in front of me kneeled to my level, as he held a knife in front of my face. "Who the fuck are you?" His deep, dangerous voice said.

I looked into his ocean eyes that one could get lost in, "Where am I?"

"Answer the damn question!" He barked, making me flinch.

Fuck, not this again.

I looked into his confused eyes and I finally recognized him. Having a semi-blurry vision was not helping.

Demetrio Gonzalez stood in front of me, still waiting for my answer, as he waves the knife in my face. His eyes held so much determination, clearly wanting to know who the fuck I was.

"Leila...my name is Leila Romano; Giovanni Russo's ex-wife." My trembling voice said, too afraid he might strike my face.

He walked a few steps backwards, as he narrowed his eyes on me. "So you're the famous Leila Russo who ran away from her husband."

* * *