Chapter Twelve- Demetrio

*DEMETRIO*

I skipped breakfast and went to the warehouse to finish some things with Danny. Sam Fisher did give us some information, but we still need more.

"Did he say anything else?" I asked Danny who had a folder in his hand.

"Yes, something about Leila's parents but I didn't get in what way he meant."

"What did he exactly say?" I asked.

"He said that Giovanni is working with Leila's parents."

"Who are they?"

"I don't know. It seems like her parents are not in any records in Italy," he replied.

I hummed and walked around the office. It didn't make sense what Danny had told me. If Leila's parents weren't in the records, that either meant that they deliberately erased their records somehow, or...

"What if their records are in other countries?"

"There are more than 190 countries in the world, Rio. Are you seriously asking me to check them all?" Danny asked.

"Yes, Danny. I am asking just that," I replied with a smirk.

"You are so dead," Danny said with a groan.

"You can't kill your boss, can you?" I said.

"Shut up!" he replied and stormed out of the room.

What are you hiding Leila Romano?

She didn't talk about her family at all as if she didn't know that they were working with Giovanni. Could that be the case?

I mean, with what Giovanni did to her, I doubted that she knew anything.

I left the warehouse and drove to my house. While on the way, I saw the same car that followed me before, following me. I looked at the rearview mirror and saw nothing. The car had faded windows like before, confirming my theory.

I sped and the car sped behind me. I tried to lose them but the way the road was structured didn't help me at all. They suddenly bumped their car with mine from behind, causing my car to go right. That gave them the advantage to speed in front of me and stop their car horizontally, causing me to stop mine.

Two men stepped out of it. They opened the backseat door and a third man stepped out.

I smirked once I saw him and stepped out of the car myself. A bad movie, but...I never cowered.

"Well, well, look who has finally decided to visit. Honestly, didn't think you had the guts," I said as I looked into Giovanni's angry eyes.

He had his men grab me by each arm, stopping me from moving. He slowly walked towards me and said, "If I didn't have guts at all, I wouldn't have beat up my wife with a child in her tummy, would I?"

Fuck...

He knows.

"A child?" I scoffed, acting as if the news was false.

"Well, a child that is now dead," he shrugged with a smirk.

Leila was pregnant before and he killed her child?

"You bastard!" I yelled, trying to break free.

"Oh, does Demetrio have feelings for my wife?" he taunted. "I advise you not to."

"Ex-wife!" I yelled, earning an evil laugh.

Once he stopped laughing he said, "She's so stupid to think that she is free just because I signed a bunch of papers. This is a warning Demetrio Gonzalez! If you didn't give me Leila, I will kill you all!"

With that, the three men left but not before leaving a gift.

A gunshot echoed through the empty road and blood splattered on the ground. I looked down only to see blood coming out of my stomach.

Here we go again.

* * *

I didn't know how I drove the car and arrived at the house, but I did. I also didn't know why I didn't go back to the warehouse because going to the house was a mistake, something I had been doing continuously. But it was closer to me than the warehouse, and I couldn't drive anymore.

I recklessly parked the car in the driveway and opened the door.

Blood covered the door handle as I had been pressing on my stomach.

When the guards saw me, they frowned and immediately came to help me. I heard one of them yelling but I was too busy trying to sleep to hear what he had said. Before my eyes closed, I saw the house's door open.

* * *

*LEILA*

After eating breakfast, I went back to my room to take a very long shower. For some reason, or well, because I was pregnant, I was so tired and all I wanted to do was eat and sleep.

When I finished, I went back to my bedroom and wore a pajama to sleep.

All of a sudden, I heard screams.

I quickly jolted up and ran out of the room. I made sure to be careful when descending the stairs.

My heart thumped at the thought of what might have happened. Many questions swarmed my brain as I tried to control my breathing. I didn't know what happened and the thought that Giovanni could have found me was all I could think about.

I arrived at the living room and saw Valeria and Dalilah kneeling on the floor. Blood surrounded them as they scream at the unconscious body. I took a closer look and my heart shattered at what I saw.

Demetrio lay on the floor unconscious as Valeria pressed on his wound. I didn't know what to do so all I did was stand there frozen in my place. I could hear someone calling my name but I couldn't answer.

All I could think about was what if Demetrio would die.

"LEILA!" Valeria yelled, probably for the millionth time, cutting my running thoughts off.

"Call Dr. Curtis. He's in my contacts," she said, handing me her phone with her free hand.

Dalilah was still crying beside her brother as she told him to wake up.

I took the phone and quickly looked for his name. I dialed the number and waited for him to pick it up, and when he did, I told him what happened.

"He's coming," I said when I hung up.

I went beside Demetrio and tears rolled down my cheeks when I saw his state. Seeing him up close was very different from far away.

I took his hand in mine and squeezed hard.

That happened because of me. I was 100% sure that it was Giovanni's doing. I didn't know how it happened and where, but I knew that Giovanni would never stop until he found me.

That's why I had to leave.

* * *