45 // Countdown

"Where you going, Dream? Or more importantly, where are you taking him?" Tommy let out a breath he didn't know he was holding. Techno knew where he was... not that he could do anything about it, but the small fact gave Tommy just the smallest sliver of hope.

Dream raised an eyebrow at this, but he didn't slow down. He hurried to to up his seatbelt; not fumbling once. "Away from the danger zone." He shut his door. Well, he tried to. Techno grabbed the handle and forced it open again. "What are you crazy!? You're going to get us all killed-"

"Like how you're killing all the people in there?" What was Techno doing? Stalling Dream until the bomb went off? It was pretty obvious that wasn't going to work... well it might... but that would mean they all die.

Wait.

Surely Techno wasn't... right? Dream had done some pretty bad things, but for Techno's plan to work, they'd all be in the hit zone. They'd all die. Tommy's blood ran cold. Was it a sacrifice he was willing to make? He was a 14-year-old kid! He had so much to live for! Actually, that wasn't quite true. He was kinda messing up his future, but still! He had a lot more of his life yet to live. But, even if Tommy wanted to stop this, there wasn't anything he could do about it.

Suddenly it clicked what Techno was doing. He was saving all the people of the future. If Dream got away with this, there would be a lot more of his attacks in the future. There would be a lot more people dying. Techno was saving hundreds, if not thousands of people... by dying himself. Tommy realised the severity of the situation.

It seemed Dream had too. He rushed to twist the keys (in order to turn on the car) but Techno was too fast; and snatched them away before Dream could even touch them. "You can't be serious! You're going to get us all killed."

Techno's glare was unwavering and harsh. He said nothing, only gripped the keys harder.

"It's insane! Give me the keys right now!"

Techno still said nothing.

"What do you want!?" Dream became more frantic now. He knew that time was running out. "Do you want to come with us? Is that what it is? I can drop you just outside the hit zone if you want! Just give me the keys and we can sort this all out."

Techno remained silent.

Dream glanced at his watch. "We have sixty seconds Techno. This is insanity." His panic turned to anger as he tried to make a grab for the keys - narrowly missing Techno's hand.

"Give me the damn keys before I do something we both regret." Suddenly, Dream's eyes twitched towards Tommy (in the backseat). "You care about him, don't you? Give me the keys before he gets hurt."

There was silence for a moment before finally Techno spoke in his usual monotone voice.

"Thirty seconds to get out of your seat, open his door, beat Tommy up, grab the keys, get back in your seat and then drive 0ff? I doubt you'll have enough time but you're more than welcome to try it."

Dream growled and leapt out of his seat. However, instead of going over to Tommy, he took a step towards Technoblade. "Give me the keys, Techno."

"Twenty seconds left."

Dream took another swipe at them, but missed again. "GIVE ME THE KEYS RIGHT NOW, TECHNO"

"Fifteen seconds left."

Dream swung his head around to Tommy; who just sat shaking in the backseat. He doubted the thin window would be enough of a barrier between him and Dream, but considering that they were all going to die in a matter of seconds, he couldn't find it in himself to care.

"Ten."

Dream swung his head back to Techno.

"Nine."

Techno shrugged in response.

"Eight."

Tommy took a deep breath and put his hand on the window.

"Seven."

Dream looked back towards Tommy and took a threatening step towards him.

"Six."

Sirens started whirring in the background.

"Five."

Dream took a few more steps until he was directly in front of Tommy.

"Four."

Dream tried to open the door.

"Three."

It was locked.

"Two."

Tommy curled into a ball.

"One."

Tommy mumbled the word 'goodbye' under his breath.