struggles of sexuality

in this one shot, eddie and steve are dating.
angst

steve opened the door to eddies car, sitting down in the passenger seat.

"hey sweetheart." eddie said. steve smiled and leaned over the middle console to give eddie a quick peck.

"hey." he said, buckling his belt.

"you ready to go?" eddie asked taking the car out of park.

"you bet." steve replied, a big smile on his face. he reached over and grabbed eddies hand.

they drove into the car park of a dominos. eddie let go of steve's hand and walked in to grab the pizza. he placed the pizza in the back of the car. he sat back in the front, instantly grabbing steve's hands again. he started the car up again and drove away.

about 20 mins later they arrived at the field which they always went to. it was a completely empty field, no houses or street lights. it was covered in wild flowers and long green grass. the two would go there once or twice a month to have a special date.

the night sky was lit with beautiful stars, the moon sitting nicely in the centre of the sky.

eddie and steve got the picnic rug out of the back of the car and laid it out on the grass. they put the pizza down and poured themselves a glass of wine each.

they laughed and talked while they ate.
one thing they both loved about their relationship was that the energy they had before they started dating didn't go away when they did. they were still the same goofballs that they always were.

as the night went on they started to calm down. steve was laying on eddies chest as eddie had one arm around him. it was quiet, peaceful. and they were both happy.

"hey eddie." steve asked.

"mhm?" he replied.

"what's your sexuality?" eddie was a little taken off guard by this question but he was expecting it to happen one day or another.

"what do you mean?" he asked sitting up. steve stayed lying down looking up at the stars while eddie lay on his side using one of his elbows for support.

"like, are you gay? ive heard of something called bisexual. like which one are you?" steve asked still looking up at the sky.

"well, i guess i haven't really thought of it. i mean i kinda just call my self queer." eddie shrugged looking down at steve.

"oh ok." steve replied. they fell silent for a moment. eddie brushed his finger lightly against steve's cheek, making steve look over at him.

"why are you asking? is something bothering you?" eddie asked the brunette.

"well i mean, i guess i just thought you knew what you were. where as i'm still so confused as to what i am." steve sighed and he grabbed eddies hand that was grazing his cheek and started to play with his fingers causing eddie to smile.

"oh sweetheart. i'm still very confused about my sexuality. all i know is that i like men and maybe women." steve took his eyes off eddies fingers and looked at him.

"you mean, you don't know what you are?" he asked curiously.

"i mean yeah," eddie pauses for a moment. "i think the difference between us is that i've known for a while that im attracted to men where as you've only just found out." steve looked down now fiddling with eddies rings.

"i was so scared." steve says with shaky breath.

"scared of what?" eddie asks a little concerned.

"scared of being gay." steve looks back over at his lover with glossy eyes.

"oh sweetheart. come here." eddie opens his arms for steve. steve moves over next to him and cuddles into him. "i know it's scary, i was terrified when i first found out. but you've got me here to help you. i may not be an expert on gayness but i like to think i know a thing or two." he smiles down at steve, planting a kiss to the top of his head.

"why is it so hard?" steve says looking down at the ground as eddie pats his head slowly. "why can't things just be easy? why is it bad to be gay? why do people see it as gross or weird? why, why, why." tears fall from steve's eyes as he curls up into eddie. more tears stream down his face as his lover comforts him.

"shhh, it's ok. ive got you, you're alright."

he cries for a couple more minutes, eddie repeating the same comforting messages over and over.

"i know it's hard. and it sucks, but that's just the way things are." eddie says as steve moves out from the crook of eddies neck, wiping the tears from his eyes.

"i wish things weren't this way." steve sniffles.

"so do i. but i know we'll be ok. we're gonna get through this together." eddie puts two fingers under steve's chin and lifts his head to look up at him. they look into each other's eyes before leaning in for a deep kiss.

"yeah, we'll be ok." steve says pulling away, still sniffling from crying.

steve cuddles up against eddie again and all the worries of the world start to fade as they look up and watch the sky.

i really really like this one, i hope you did too. any requests of stories i should do :)