sneak out pt2. - lemon

they run down the stairs, laughing joyfully with their hands still intertwined. they stop at the front door to put their shoes on before running out the front door and hoping in eddie's car.

"where you wanna go harrington?" eddie asks as he puts his keys in the ignition.

"i wouldn't mind some ice cream." steve smiles at eddie from the passenger seat.

"that sounds like a great idea." eddie smiles over at steve.

they start driving down the quiet streets of hawkins. eddie's taps his hands on the steering wheel, playing a random beat. steve looks out the window, excited. he'd never done something like this. he'd never gone out and done something so spontaneous. he loved the thrill of it all, even if they were just getting ice cream.

"this is crazy." eddie speaks up suddenly. steve looks over at eddie, a confused smile on his face.

"what do you mean?" steve asks.

"i never had those teenage romance moments. sneaking out to hang out with someone, or going on super late night drives like this. i've never had a normal teenage experience." eddie says. although his words aren't necessarily happy, he had a big smile on his face.

steve looks over at eddie in awe of his beautiful smile. he puts a hand on eddie's thigh. eddie looks over at him with bright eyes before focusing back on the road.

"i'm gonna make sure you have the best night ever." steve squeezes his thigh reassuringly. "i promise."

they pull up to a red light. eddie looks over at steve, steve looking back. their eyes stay locked on one another. the red lights reflect onto eddie's eyes, bringing them to life. every inch of his face is highlighted by the dark ambiant light.

without a second thought, they come together, their lips smashing together. they kiss eager and desperate. both are leaning over the centre console to bring themselves closer to each other.

but before anything can happen, the light changes back to green. steve points at the lights, humming against his lips to get eddie to start driving. eddie lingers for a second longer before pulling away and hitting the gas.

both sit back in their sits properly, panting out of breath. they look over at each other before laughing. man they felt so alive.

after a couple more minutes of driving, they pull up to the small ice cream shop. both of them hop out the car, eddie waits for steve to make his away around to his side of the car. he goes to grab steve's hand before he realises their in public, slowly retracting it.

they walk over to the counter and look over the options before ordering. steve gets cookies and cream while eddie gets caramel swirl.

they go and sit down at a table outside the store.

they sit in silence for a while, just enjoying each other's presence.

"what you wanna do after this?" steve asks.

"woah, let's take it slow. no need to rush." eddie laughs.

"i just wanna make sure this night is perfect." steve whines, looking down at his cup of ice cream. eddie places his hand reassuringly on steve's.

"any night is perfect if it's spent with you." eddie smiles. steve feels his cheeks burn as he blushes at his words.

they finish up their ice cream and head back to the car.

"wanna know one thing that would make this night perfect." eddie smirks at steve.

"yeah?" steve asks, putting on his seatbelt.