just a walk home? - fluff

for this one shot we're gonna pretend steve's in high school.

steve sat at the lunch table with robin and vickie. they laughed and chatted about anything and everything.

steve hadnt lost his title of the hottest guy at school, but he had lost some of his reputation. he didn't hang out with the "popular" guys anymore and hung with vickie and robin, since they were actually nice people.

"that was so funny, the teacher didn't even see it coming." robin laughed as vickie recovered from her laughing fit beside her.

"she was so shocked." steve laughed along.

"so you guys are working this afternoon right?" vickie asked the two.

"yeah, 4:00-7:00." robin replied.

"oh ok, robin do you wanna maybe-"

vickie was cut off by a sudden loud voice that was heard across the cafeteria. the three all looked over to where the noise was coming from, and it was no shock to them that eddie munson was up on top of the tables.

"but as long as you're into band," he walked down the length of the table calling out different groups. "or science, or parties."

people called out to him, booing him or giving him the piss. some flipped him the bird.

"or a game where YOU TOSS BALLS INTO LAUNDRY BASKETS." he yelled across the whole room.

steve looked at the "freak". there was something about him that confused steve. he didn't know what it was but something about eddie caused his heart beat to raise or his toes to curl in excitement when he walked in the room.

steve didn't cringe, or was disapproving of eddie's actions. they made him smile, he may of been a freak but he didn't care about other peoples opinions, he just lived his life how he wanted to.

steve's face went a light shade of pink as he admired the boy from a distant.

"steve, you right?" robin asked, waving a hand in front of his face.

"oh- yeah, i'm, i'm fine." steve replied, looking down to fiddle with his fingers.

"hmm, sure."

after school

steve saw the curly haired brunette leaning against a lamp post, talking to one of his friends from the DnD club. he stood and waited for his friend to leave. once his friend started to walk away, he walked as quickly as he could to catch up to eddie.

"hey- eddie." steve called out after him.

eddie turned around at the sound of his name, his eyes widening when he sees steve harrington walking towards him.

"umm, hey steve." he replies confused. "what's up?" thinking that steve could only want something from him.

"just walking." steve replied now walking beside the metal head.

eddie looks over at him giving him a scrunched up look out of utter shock that steve is even talking to him.

"oh, ok." eddie replies nervously as he starts to fiddle with the rings on his hands.

"so, you're probably wondering why i'm talking to you?" steve chuckled nervously.

"oh really, you couldn't tell?" eddie replies sarcastically. steve laughs at the boys joke.

"i guess i just wanted to tell you that what u did in the cafeteria was- oh i don't know, brave i guess." as soon as the words left his mouth he cringed at the way he'd worded it.

"what? me walking up and down the table mocking people?" eddie asked with a confused expression, a small cheeky smile on his face.

"shit- that's not what i meant. what i meant was, i don't know, i find it cool that you don't care what people think of you." steve looked up at him with a small smile.

"ha- yeah you got that right." eddie rolled his eyes.

"wha- what do you mean?" steve's heart started to rise for 2 different reasons. he was talking to eddie, who just had a presence about him that made him nervous. and he said something that he thinks offended him? he doesn't know but all he knew was his heart was beating faster than he was thinking.

"oh i do care about what people think." eddie laughed.

"then how come you got up on the table today? you did it with such confidence." steve looked over at eddie, giving him the same confused face eddie gave him a few seconds ago.

"honestly, i'm not quite sure. but i don't have that confidence now," he pauses for a moment. "it may not seem like it but i do care what people think of me." he sighs.

"oh, well-" before steve could finish eddie cut him off.

"like if i were to hold your hand, god knows what would happen to me."

steve's brain turned to complete fog. hold his hand? the way his stomach filled with butterflies at the thought of holding eddie's hand drove him insane.

eddie must've realised steve's gay panic because he became oddly quiet.

"umm, steve, you good there buddy?"

"oh um yeah." he stuttered out.

the two continued to walk in silence. an awkward tension sat between the two, they would look up at each other every now and then making quick eye contact before looking straight back down to the ground in front of them.

steve wanted to grab eddie's hand. he wanted to hold it. he wanted to feel the cold metal of his rings up against his hand. damn his hands turned steve on. he knew that hands were one  of the many things he was attracted to, but not guys hands. well atleast he thought he wasn't attracted to men's hands.

he brought his arm down so it was swinging loosely down by his side, leaving not much room between eddie's hand and his own.

he went for the grab but once his hand made the slightest contact with eddie's, eddie would shoot his head up to look at steve, making him back out.

he tried again, but the same thing. then again but eddie didn't look up his time. he stayed looking down but steve could see from the corner of his eye that eddie was looking at their hands.

before he could chicken out again, he grabbed eddie's hand. he intertwined their fingers, fitting perfectly together as they walked. eddie looked up at steve again, but this time, he didn't look scared or shocked, he had the biggest smile on his face.

eddie's rings were nice and cold against steve's warm hands. steve started to rub his thumb on the outside of eddie's hand, moving in a circular motion.

"this is ok?" steve asked making eye contact with eddie.

"yeah, this is ok." he smiled to harrington.

what do we think yall...?