The Aftermath

I watched, holding my breath as the arrow flew towards Einon and time seemed to stand still. The arrow sank deep into Einon's chest just missing his heart. I let out a shout of victory as Einon looked stunned, the fight between Sir Aaron and Einon had obviously stopped. Einon's left hand reached up to touch the arrow, shock written on his face now then he stumbled back a step and fell. Darius let out a loud roar of victory and lowered himself to the ground behind Sir. Aaron. I quickly dismounted Darius and ran over to Einon, who lay gasping on the ground. I looked at the dying king and almost felt a small thing of pity for him.

Einon looked at me and a rasp came from his lips. "You.... ride a... dragon...?" I remained silent. "I allow it." Said Darius from behind us, the battle now forgotten. "You.... shot the arrow?" asked Einon weakly. This time I nodded in answer. I thought I would feel better, taking the life of the man that killed my family, but it turned out that I was still feeling the loss. "You ordered my village killed. You have killed many villages and torn apart many families all for power and greed. This was bound to happen one day. I take no joy in your death, but I am glad that you are no longer king." I said. Einon chuckled weakly and then let out a gasp.

"You are indeed dying. I can hear your heart struggling to beat from here. You have no more than a few minutes. If I were you, I would issue a last minute apology to try to relieve your soul." said Darius. Einon again chuckled weakly that turned into a cough. "As if I would.... apologize to the likes of you...." Said Einon then a moment later, he died. I looked around us. The battle had slowed to a stop when the fighters realized that Darius had landed and that the king was now dead. Soldiers from Einon's army were starting to lay down their shields and swords while being pushed to the far end of the field by the remaining villagers. I caught sight of the village chief and Ben. Ben was limping and holding his right shoulder, but he had a smile on his face.

"This battle is over! We have won!" Shouted Sir. Aaron. The villagers all shouted in glee and raised their swords and spears in victory. The village chief came over with a massive smile on his face. "Now that the king is dead, we must go to the castle and set the slaves there free." Said the Chief. "You do realize that even if we go to the castle there is no guarantee that your families that were taken are there." Said Sir. Aaron. "Do not ruin a good day Sir. Aaron. We have still won." Said the Chief but the smile was gone from his face. I turned from the dead king and walked back over to Darius. "The guards in the castle will still want to fight. They won't know that the king is dead. " I said as Darius lowered himself to the ground so that I could get back onto his back. "She is right. We can't celebrate just yet. Let us finish this. We go to the castle and take it. Then we can celebrate all night long." Said Sir. Aaron.

I got back onto Darius and nodded to the others as they went to tell the villagers what we had decided to do and there was a roar of agreement from them. "We will go on ahead. we will see what we are dealing with then come back and report it to you before we take the castle. " I said as Darius took to the air. We then began the short flight to the castle.

Well guys this is almost the end. I hate to say that. But hey, there may or may not be a sequel. At the end of the book there will be a special shout out to those who have voted and commented on my book so if you want a shout out be sure to comment and vote. Thanks everyone!