Chapter 1

Note: In the beginning of this story the chapters alternate back and forth between the present (Sofia age 20) and flashbacks to the past (Sofia age 16). Refer to the top of the chapter to see what time period it is.

Present

Sofia sat in the corner of King Roland II's study, listening attentively to the conversation going on between her father, Amber and Desmond. Dad had recently decided to give Amber and her husband lessons as the future rulers of Enchancia. Sofia, as Amber's future royal advisor, sat in on these lessons. She wanted to do a good job of it, so she listened to every word and jotted down meticulous notes.

They were seated around a map table that depicted the kingdoms of the Ever Realm. The King's finger traced a blue kingdom to the north of Enchancia. "Freezenburg" Amber recited.

The King's brow furrowed. "Let's just say our relations with them have been... frosty lately." Under happier circumstances, Dad would have laughed at his own pun, but judging by his serious tone this was not one of those times. "I'm worried they're making plans to wage war against us."

"Hildy would never!" Amber exclaimed

"It's not Princess Hildegard, it's her cousin, the Crown Prince Friedrich." Sofia had never heard of him before.

"But that's ridiculous! Hildy's older sister is heir to the throne."

Desmond shook his head, "Freezenberg is a patriarchy. They don't allow the women to be rulers."

Amber's eyebrows rose in shock, then her face twisted into disgust. "What do we do?" she finally said.

The King blew out a sigh. "The easiest solution is alliance through marriage."

Sofia stopped writing, her thoughts racing. As a 20 year old unmarried princess, she knew that she would be married off soon, but not like this.

"We could betroth Sofia to Prince Friedrich," said King Roland.

"That's ridiculous, I won't accept it," Amber stood up.

Dad turned toward Sofia, who was frozen in shock. He looked into her eyes and pleaded, "I don't like this as much as you do, but our only other option is war."

Enchancia had been blessed with decades of peace, so Sofia had never experienced it. But she knew the amount of lives would be lost. She couldn't put Enchancia's citizens in danger like that.

She smoothed her skirt out and said, "I'll do it."

Amber and Desmond looked at each other in worry. Sofia looked away from them. Everyone in this room had a duty toward their country.

Dad took Sofia's hands in hers, squeezing them. His face conveyed a mixture of both sadness and pride.