Chapter 8

4 years ago

Amber twirled around "Oh SOFIA isn't this so exciting?!"

A hundred wedding dress designs were scattered all over the table.

"What about this? Or this? I think the mermaid tail style dress would look good on you!"

Amber was in such a frenzy. The last time she had been this excited was when she was about to marry Prince Desmond.

"Ooh Sofia what is Prince Hugo wearing? We must coordinate your outfits,"

Sofia giggled. "He hasn't chosen yet. But I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you chose it for him,"

"Sofia we need to figure it out immediately, so we can get your figurines on the 20 tier wedding cake!"

"Aw come on Amber, it's alright, it doesn't need to be too much. I'm sure it'll all work out!"

"NO!" Her sister slammed her wedding planner notebook on the table and a whirlwind of papers flew up into the air. "My baby sister is getting married and I expect nothing less than perfection!"

Just then, there was a knock on the door and Baileywick burst in. "Princess Sofia, Princess Amber, I have grave news. Follow me to the throne room so I can announce it to everyone at once."

"What happened?" asked Sofia. Baileywick beckoned her to follow and all three of them rushed out of the room.

They reached the throne room. James was pacing back and forth and Mom and Dad stood at the throne, looking worried.

Baileywick paused at the entrance, pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed at his forehead.

"Your Majesties, I'm afraid Princess Sofia's wedding will have to be called off."

"WHAT" shrieked Amber.

Baileywick's voice shook . "K--king Axel- King Axel was murdered."

"What does that have to do with anything?!" Amber's voice was shrill.

Dad gave her a stern look and she immediately quieted.

"What about Hugo?" Sofia asked, heart pounding against her chest.

Baileywick replied, "A servant saw him gallop away on horseback right after the murder."

Sofia stared, not processing what he was saying.

Baileywick looked at her pityingly. "Princess, I hate to say this, but it's quite suspicious that someone would immediately run away right after a murder,"

"Are you saying that he--" Sofia shook her head violently. "He would NEVER do that," 

"Princess, we don't want to make assumptions because we don't have sufficient evidence. But the desire for power can corrupt even the noblest of hearts."

Sofia shook her head furiously. "He had no reason to." Axel was all he had left.

Sofia felt lightheaded. Her world was crashing down on her. She could feel comforting arms holding her up. In the background, bits of disjointed fragments of conversation intruded into her conscience. 

What would happen to Kryevka? King Axel's Royal advisor would be in charge.

King Axel had been an irresponsible ruler and the country was in serious debt.

Kryevka is now bankrupt. 

A/N: If anyone was wondering why I decided to name Hugo's kingdom Kryevka, it's because I got it from a random name generator for a Russian-sounding place. When searching online, I couldn't find the name of Hugo's kingdom, but the Sofia the First fandom wiki mentions that it seems to be based on Russia judging by the castle's appearance and King Garrick's attire (https://sofia.fandom.com/wiki/Hugo%27s_Castle).