Chapter 25

Sofia stayed behind after the group left. "Wow, looks like you're off to a great start!"

Hugo replied, "Yeah this is amazing, this helps me so much. I'm forever indebted to all of you."

His eyes gazed around at the room filled to the brim with gifts. He strode over to Hildegard's gargantuan cart with Friedrich's souvenirs. A cloud of dust puffed up in his wake. He didn't seem to notice the dust attacking his tailcoat and trousers. He was too busy marveling the inventions. His pale elegant fingers delicately slid over the ridges of the bamboo gliders, admiring their artistry. 

His voice reverberated through the room. "I'm going to get started by putting these inventions to good use. They could definitely increase productivity and give the economy a boost. Then I'll start allocating the gold and jewels as investments and emergency funds--"

"How can I help?" inquired Sofia.

Hugo turned to look at her and shook his head, "No, I have to do this myself. It is my duty to my country-"

"Hugo, I don't think you understand, I WANT to help. I'm not doing this because I feel obligated to. I saw those people in the village..." Every time she closed her eyes, all she could see were the faces of the children with hollow cheeks and the mothers with haunted expressions in their eyes.

"They're starving, and homeless. I need to help them," she said with finality. She crossed her arms and looked at him, expecting him to refuse.

Instead he looked at her, really looked at her. His green eyes scrutinized her with a burning intensity that pierced right through her. Finally, he said, "Sofia, I'm not fit to be a king but you're a Queen through and through."

Sofia opened her mouth, but nothing came out. She was not expecting him to say that. It was as if her brain had short circuited. Luckily, her natural defense mechanism activated; she started to blush profusely.

The corner of Hugo's mouth quirked into a smile. "If I had a ring with me right now, I would ask you to be my Queen."

As if being shaken out of a trance, Sofia immediately started rummaging through her pockets. She then pulled out Hugo's engagement ring from 4 years ago. 

"You still have it?" asked Hugo, incredulous.

"I've kept it with me ever since you gave it to me,"

"Even when you were engaged to Prince Friedrich?" Hugo teased.

Sofia took a step forward, looked up straight into his eyes and said, dead seriously, "Hugo, don't you dare think I ever stopped loving you."