Chapter 27

The rain came down in a calm drizzle, providing the well-needed respite from the hot sun.

Sofia and Hugo stood facing each other under the wisteria tree. Although the tree had large branches, the hanging flowers did little to protect them from the rain. Sofia's dress was heavy with water and her hair was soaking wet. Hugo's normally well-coiffed hair was now disheveled and clung to his forehead. It was normally a dark brown but now it looked pitch black. 

"We should go inside," said Sofia. 

"We should," agreed Hugo.

Neither of them moved. They just continued to stare at each other.

"You know what I was thinking?" said Hugo.

"Hmm?" said Sofia absentmindedly, distracted by the way Hugo's hair glistened with water.

"That day when you were dancing with Prince Friedrich, I wanted to snatch you out of his arms and dance with you so badly."

Sofia raised an eyebrow. "If you want, I could dance with you now."

"Right now?" he asked, looking at the rain pattering around them.

"I always wanted to dance in the rain," she said wistfully.

A mischievous smile flashed across her face and she bowed down with an extravagant flair. She cleared her throat and said in a deep, exaggerated voice, "Princess Sofia, would you care to dance?"

Hugo looked surprised but then quickly caught on. He dropped into a curtsy with a nonexistent skirt and responded in the shrillest, high pitched voice. "Why of course Prince Hugo! You're so handsome and talented!"

"I do not sound like that!" she swatted him.

He caught her hand and pulled her close to him. Her eyes widened.

He gently placed his hands on her waist and she instinctively wrapped her arms around his neck. 

They swayed slowly in the soothing drizzle, to a beat that no one else could hear except them.

They were so close Sofia could feel his breath flutter across her cheeks. 

"You know what else I've always wanted to do?" she whispered.

"What?" mumbled Hugo.

"Kiss someone in the rain,"

Hugo laughed. She loved his laugh, it was the loudest, most boisterous thing she ever heard. It was full of life. 

Hugo's green eyes glinted. "I've never even kissed someone before, let alone in the rain."

Sofia replied shyly, "Well, me neither but..."

Hugo pressed a finger to her lips to shush her. "You may be Sofia the First, but I get to be your first."

Sofia groaned. "I don't know whether I should laugh or cry."

"Neither," Hugo said, cupping her cheek and pressing his lips to hers.

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you

There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do

I bless the rains down in [Enchancia]

Gonna take some time to do the things we never had

- "Africa" by Toto

A/N: This song would just play in the background, just like in those iconic movie scenes. I changed the song lyric of "Africa" to "Enchancia" because it's more fitting given the context. I'm not even sure there's an Africa in the Ever Realm, and if there is, I have no idea what it's called, haha.