Chapter 15

"We have to go around the forest, there's a band of thieves who rob valuables in the forest," warned Sofia.Amber clutched her tiara protectively.

They raced across the grassy fields. Sofia was so used to flying that she was unused to the jolting and the thumping of riding a horse on the ground.

Suddenly, a voice called out from the forest, "Princess Sofia!"Hugo jumped out and landed a few feet from them.

The group skidded to a halt.

Amber looked bewildered, "Is that...Hugo? Where have you been these past few years?!"

"We don't have time for this," Sofia urged. "Hugo, did you see James?"

"I did. A few hours ago, going in the same direction as you guys."

"WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP HIM?" Amber exclaimed.

"What? I was supposed to stop him?"

"No time to explain, hop on," Sofia said, offering a hand to him.

"That's alright, I can ride with Desmond," he said moving away from her and boarding Desmond's horse.

Desmond and Amber exchanged glances but said nothing.

They continued sprinting through the fields and arrived at Freezenburg Palace after a few hours.

Hugo decided he would stay in the forest and watch from the outside, claiming, "That man hates my guts,"

So Sofia, Amber, Desmond and the two knights cautiously entered the castle.

They entered the throne room and a familiar nasty voice said, "Who enters my castle unannounced?!" He saw them and sneered. "What brings you here my dear fiancée? Or should I say ex-fiancée?"

"What do you mean ex-fiancée?" asked Sofia, alarmed. Did James already successfully cancel their betrothal and set up his own?

"I know what you may be thinking, but no. I don't like you and you don't like me, therefore, I'm cancelling the marriage."

"You can't just do that! It's against the agreement!"

"I play by my own rules, princess."

"Where's King Henrik? I would like a word with him!" demanded Amber.

"He and Astrid are on vacation in the tropics."

A/N: Astrid is Hildegard's older sister.

"What about Hildy?"

"Sulking in her room. Poor thing can't stand the heat or perspiration."

"Ok but where's James?" interjected Sofia.

"Hasn't anyone told you it's rude to interrogate someone like this? But if you were wondering, he's just spending some time with the rats deep down in the dungeons."

"You can't lock him up, that's treason!"

Prince Friedrich looked unfazed. "Well, if I do say so myself, I found it rather insulting your brother comes running up to my door offering to marry my cousin in exchange for our betrothal. It was already rude enough that I got betrothed to a fake princess and next thing you know I'm so undesirable she doesn't want me." 

"You do know that by locking James in your dungeon that is a declaration of war," Amber said slowly.

"I do," Prince Friedrich nodded wisely. "In fact, I already sent out troops to your precious castle!"