Chapter 4

4 years ago

The breeze blew through Sofia's auburn curls as she rode on Minimus' back. Sofia and Hugo were riding their flying horses over the green hills and forests of Kryevka, Hugo's kingdom. The winter had disappeared in a quick retreat leaving a warm, balmy breeze behind. During the warmer months, Hugo spent more time practicing flying derby, although once in a while he did go to the north of Kryevka to practice ice skating.

"How's derby practice been?" Sofia asked Hugo.

Hugo wrinkled his nose. "Not great. My teammate is a smelly, arrogant prince. Actually, come to think of it, the entire team consists of smelly arrogant princes. Things aren't the same without a lovely princess as a partner."

Sofia laughed. "Well, this princess challenges you to a flying derby race!" she snapped Minimus' reins and yelled, "JA!"

"Let's do this!" cried Minimus, and he pushed forward with a boost of energy.

"Foul play princess!" Hugo said, trying to catch up. "You didn't even say where the finish line is!" 

"The forest clearing!" Her heart pounding loudly in her chest, Sofia sped through the air soaring right above the treetops. She landed in the forest clearing, beside a small pond. Sofia hopped off Minimus with a flourish.

"We won!" Minimus hollered. Sofia patted his mane and replied, "We sure did!"

Hugo landed a few seconds after her and shook his head while laughing. Then he pouted and said, "No fair, you got a head start." 

"Are you mad that I won?" Sofia teased.

"Princess", he placed his hand over his heart, "You wound my pride." He pulled a picnic basket out of Electra's saddle and started spreading a blanket on the grass. "If you were anyone else, I'd have to challenge you to a duel and show them who's boss." 

"You just wouldn't challenge me because you'd lose," Sofia teased. 

Hugo snorted, "Do you want to join me or not?" he asked, as he set out food onto the blanket. 

"He's been planning this for a week now," muttered Electra.

"Is this my prize for winning?" Sofia asked. 

"No, I've got something else for you, but let's eat first," he handed her a plate of jiggly pudding. 

They sat and ate in a companionable silence, stealing glances at each other. Sofia stopped eating and stared at Hugo. He stopped wolfing down his pudding. 

"What?"

"You've got pudding all over your face," she said giggling, and then wiping it with her fingers. 

He then turned his cheek and kissed the fingers she was wiping his cheek with. She shrieked with laughter and they fell over onto the blanket laughing. Hugo eventually found a napkin and wiped his face clean. He stood up, offered a hand to Sofia to get up as well. "Now I offer you your prize for winning."

He knelt down on one knee, reached into his pocket and Sofia gasped as he pulled out a ring. 

"Princess Sofia of Enchancia, will you marry me?"

"Yes!" she said, wrapping her arms around him and squeezing him tight.